Had to take the long walk today...

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
No, my bike didn't break down. Though, that would be pretty bad too.

I feel weird writing this here. Not sure why. But here goes: I was encouraged/forced to resign today. This story goes back to when a coworker was being moved, and I was given her job - and still expected to do my own. When I (politely as I could) pointed out that it might amount to me having more than I could do in a day, I was assigned an extra task. (Dumb move, I know.) So there I was, stuck doing two jobs in the time allotted for one, with extra documents to work on thrown in.
Shortly thereafter, I expressed to a friend that if I didn't know better I might think I was being set up to fail. I now know that I was right; I didn't know better, that's kind of what it was.
The higher-ups always said to come to them if I had any problems. Twice in recent times, I'd asked for assistance with my duties. Instead of assistance, I was called into a supervisor's office and asked why I couldn't do my job. (!) That should have been a red flag for me.
Later, about a month ago, I was reassigned to a position which I excelled at. I'd done it before and I was still the best at it. I've been cranking out files like nobody else they ever had.
So, today, I get called upstairs. I'm told the discussion has to do with my poor performance in my previous position (technically "positions", but I'm nit-picking). Nothing to do with my current job. I'm offered a choice: to be fired or to resign. Under all kinds of stress, I decided to resign. This was based on not wanting to hurt my chances of finding another job, at my age, with a termination on my record. (I'm hoping my income tax refund will buy me some time to job hunt. It's already on its way.)
Here's why I feel hurt and betrayed: while I don't dispute the performance issues per se, I seriously doubt any human being could have done both of those jobs, at one time, successfully; I noted that I was not previously given any verbal or written warning or reprimand or even suspended for any length of time. They jumped straight to firing me. To my mind, it isn't a far stretch to suspect that I was placed in a position which would ensure negative results for me; the higher-ups gathered and documented said results, and then - even after I had been moved elsewhere - they had been building their case and used it to show me the door. I can't think why else they hadn't warned me to improve or disciplined me before.

But there is a sense of relief in it. That understaffed workplace had become a pressure cooker. There was no hiding the coincidence that the better-paid veterans (like me) were becoming targets of budget cuts. And I was also believed to be a sympathizer with the previous boss, from what I hear. But if you're going to get rid of someone, in a building full of lawyers, you have to make it look good. I could still argue that it was likely no person there could have done all the work they gave me without falling behind, but it isn't something I can easily prove. So here I am, back in the job market.

I apologize if I have bummed you all out, but I do thank you for reading this far. If I were to ask anything at all of you fine ladies and gentlemen, it is simply to wish me luck. I have a family. I will need luck.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think I've been in the same position, set up to fail, I jump and a friend of the management gets the job, with more help given. People, frankly, are rather tedious.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Some people can be. I hadn't heard if anyone was "waiting in the wings" for my job, as it were. But my gut told me that the events leading up to it were part of a larger thing in motion. I partially blame myself for not listening to my instincts and leaving earlier.

The more I think about it, the more I find that in the months past I was likely expected to grow so very disgusted with all the extra burdens that, at some point, I was supposed to throw up my hands in frustration and quit. When that didn't happen right away, I think it may have forced their hand, which may be why they had to build a case and offer me the ultimatum some time after I was moved from that position.

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
You worked for jerks. sucks you're out a job though. Work on your bikes till you find one , make use of your time off.
There's always Portland in July! I'm from terre haute and I'm trying to go this year too.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Allen Wrench, I've been in that position, understand it well, and have been on the management side of those actions too, so I really get it. I have seen all the thngs suggested happen. Setting people up for failure, people pushed out of jobs for another to take over, personal vendettas, you name it. Ludwig is right, people and corporations can suck.

Why did it happen? Things can be learned by knowing but it is hard to find out the truth. Wait a while, take and ex-coworker out for drinks and buy him drunk to find out. Best $50 you will spend if you want to know. In vino veritas. Otherwise, don't wory about it, move on.

How to avoid it? Listen to those little feelings and keep your resume up to date. Linkedin can be a valuable tool. Be prepared at all times. Talk with others in the industry, be social. I recently had some issues come up at where I worked, realized I didn't like what I saw happening, so I put out feelers. I received 3 job offers, all for more pay and better hours than I was doing. Yeah I jumped!

What about now?
Linkedin! Meet with your contacts and competition, join volunteer organizations where you can make contacts, Lions, Rotary, Chamber of Commerce. Sign up to a contracting firm so check out similar businesses where you might want to apply. Often they will hire from the contractors.

So the irony is that I am back to servicing contracts at the place where I used to work, on my own hours, in a company vehicle and making more money. For some reason the guys that were giving me grief there seem bitter and jealous. I smile and treat them with the greatest of gratefulness.

Steve

Last edited:

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
a very valuable lesson, never work for someone else.
even on the best day, they keep the money, you get the scraps.

my dad told me that when i was a little boy, and i took it to heart.
i have had several small businesses over the years. some did fine, some died, some simply ended (pay phone installations for example).
i have had to resort to "odd jobs" many times just to pay the bills, and it has been very hard at times.
but i have never been taken advantage of, never been fired, and never had to do anything i didn't want to do. i get days off anytime i want.
i managed to get a brick house, a nice truck, a boat, and a motorized bike too :)

i think he would be very proud of what i have done with nothing but sheer determination and sweat.

trust yourself to be your best ally.
"YOU" are the only person on earth who will never let you down...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Allen,
I believe I can safely say that many of us 'have been there, done that'. I retired early when after 16 years with a company they began to do much of what you describe. The concept of do-more-with-less and don't expect any compensation is how companies and corporations operate today.

My wife also just recently retired for the same reason. After 42 years with the same hospital she was being asked to take on more responsibilities that she ever had and to do them with less help and support from those 'higher ups'. Her years of service accounted for nothing and still she was expected to perform with no objections or relief.

Employers are looking at ways of ousting their older work force in favor of the youngsters. What baffles me is that the older folks who have the skills, talents and work ethics that used to be valued are being eliminated and replaced by a generation who instead of working through issues simply pack up and leave at the first sign of diversity.

Company loyality and loyality to employees seems to be a dying concept.
I have to assume it is just another one of those changes in our society that we either learn to adjust to, or retire. Lucky are those who have that option.

I wish you the best and fully understand your situation. Unfortunate as it seems at the moment it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise and you'll find something much better and wonder why you waited so long to make a change.

Good luck, sir. Keep us posted.

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You're not far off the mark, Tom. I was hobnobbing with a friend/former coworker. And with some of what each of us knows, we arrived at the conclusion that it may have mostly been a cost-cutting measure. After nine years, and a mandatory increase, I was at the time making 12k *more* than the starting wage for my position. And also somewhat more than any other positions' starting wage in my department.
So it would be a decent savings for them if they just ousted me and hired a fresh peon. There were also some office politics involved which I was never good at. Unspoken things were expected of me, I believe, and I was too clueless before.
Employees are no longer viewed as people with valuable skills, in most places. These days they are a commodity, to be shuffled, swapped, or replaced, as need or budget dictates. I knew things that most other employees did not know and never figured out how to do. I knew how to do *some* things that nobody else knew, and how to get information I needed that nobody else is likely to find access to for some time. But even I was not "fire-proof" or irreplaceable. The higher-up don't care who you are or what you know. Their eyes are on the bottom line. And even if the whole department suffers while I'm gone, I know the uppers won't care one little bit. I've heard them speak, and in their ignorance they believe the best way to be efficient is to trim, trim, trim, until they are paying out as little as possible. This, without regard to having efficient or knowledgeable employees who can make things run more smoothly than a constant influx of newbies who need near perpetual training year after year.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
AW,

Can't add anything that hasn't been said by the others. I worked for myself for most of my time and when I was winding down went and helped a friend out 'til it was time.

My wife went through much of what is being discussed. Started at entry level and moved up the corporate ladder and after 28 years was maxed out at her pay level. They started letting folks with lots of time go and piling on the work for her. It came to a head when she asked why quality was no longer was a priority. Bottom line, it was the bottom line that mattered. She was offered a promotion that would have put her back on the road and they knew she wasn't going to accept. As was said earlier, loyalty has left the building.

Good luck!

Dan

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Allen I know how it feels, just over a year ago the company I had worked at for over 34 years informed us our facility would close. I wasted no time applying for positions, the job I have now, it turns out, is the first I applied for. It turned out well for me, I have a better job with a lot less stress. So in losing that job I found a even better one, I wish you the same results.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
things happen for a reason, i was promised a job when we moved back to the states. was even asked to make sure i could start right away when this other person retired, long story short sold the condo and most of our stuff and moved back to the states and got the sorry gave job to someone else for a hardship transfer. anyway probably best thing that could have happened, i retired and am happy, wasn't ready to retire but its not to bad, may go back to work who knows but been over a year and we are surviving just fine. Hang in their Allen things will work out.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Something that companies fail to see is that an experienced worker will prevent expensive mistakes, and know inexpensive short cuts; the bottom line is improved, not worsened.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
What kind of work did you do?

My first job out of school was kinda weird. I got laid off with no warning. My sales were good, I was getting new customers and then I was gone. WTF?

Well as it turned out corporate was sick of the constant whining of the managers of the division and eventually laid off all the sales people and sold off the whole division to another company that had it's own sales force. I was the first to go and also the first to find another job.

Yeah it sucks, but that's life eh? Good luck and good interviews!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm sorry to hear this, Allen Wrench.

I got pushed out of a good position once simply because the new owner wanted that spot, plus some others for one of his cronies. Sons, personal friends, and so on. He did it because he could get away with it. I'd be going too far to say I made him sorry. He's not one bit sorry. But I did compete with him pretty successfully for a while. And then managed to come in for 'a soft landing'. As opposed to crashing and burning.

Mostly I mention that to illustrate two things; you're not alone. And there's very little loyalty in business. What loyalty does exist is fragile and has a shelf life. It stinks. But it has to be lived with.

As Ludwig said, people are tedious.

Best of luck to you. It sounds like you're a guy with some knowledge and some skills. You ought to do okay. And maybe even better than that. It does happen.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Thank you much, folks, for you support and best wishes. I am preparing to hit the bricks in a few minutes, and I believe I will have something lined up.

But I have to confess, the only thing that would make me feel all that secure at this point in my life would be to suddenly become independently wealthy. As many of you have mentioned, there's hardly any loyalty left out there.