Kit chain tensioner - Epic Fail

GoldenMotor.com
Jun 2, 2015
Marlton, New Jersey
Well, after 400 hundred miles I finally thought I had everything right. The china girl was purring along on my 29er at around 25mph when suddenly I heard a loud bang. The rear wheel locked up and I skidded to a stop. The tensioner had come loose and went right through the spokes and blew out the tire. It bent the frame and about 5 spokes were torn out. Fortunately I was able to stay on the bike and did not get hurt. Every time before I ride I check everything and those 4 bolts on the tensioner have always needed tightening. But they came loose anyway. Did I listen to Tom's advice, nooooo. I learned a valuable lesson though and got rid of that piece of junk tensioner and shortened the drive chain. It runs so much smoother now and less noise too. Lesson learned.
George

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
George,
So sorry to hear this. It is probably one of the most common occurances with a new build. The kit supplied tensioner bracket and the spark plug boot are two things that need to be addressed before completing a kit installation.

Use our 'search' feature and type in 'chain tensioner' and you'll see lots of discussion about that infamous item as well as ideas on how to get around using it. Sounds like you're on your way by eleminating the thing. I think you'll be happy with the results.

Have fun and ride safe. We're glad you weren't hurt. That could have been a severe crash.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yep! Glad you weren't hurt.

But it does sound as though the damage to your bike is fairly severe. But the good thing about motorize bicycles is that the bike can be replaced. And it doesn't even have to cost hardly anything. Other than frustration.

Those kit supplied chain tensioners really are pretty bad, aren't they?