Killing rats

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
No, I was envisioning you sticking the pipe up the rat's hole.

I know I'd not want to stay still.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Exterminator friend of mine told me the best way to use a snap trap was to leave it up against a wall where the rats traveled, unset and unbaited, for a few days so they got used to it being there then set and bait it.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Used to have an occasional problem with the odd field mouse getting inside from time to time, and sometimes even gnawing into the breakfast cereal. But for the past several months we've had a little orange ginger cat, which my daughters named Rusty. Very civilized little thing; quiet voice, doesn't knock things off shelves or break stuff, doesn't climb bookcases, didn't even do anything to the Christmas tree when it was up. But I haven't seen a single mouse or evidence thereof in all the time she's lived here. (Yeah, *her* name is "Rusty". Daughters. Go figure.) I happen to know she's marked the perimeter when she was outside. She's got a plan.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No rats or mice but I get voles in my junipers. They have killed a couple of our shrubs and they tunnel into the lawn. I used to use a poison that contained zinc phosphate, ZP, but apparently they have outlawed it. Snakes are rare around my neighborhood and the neighbor's cats won't go in the junipers. I've caught (killed) a bunch using a multi-catch trap baited with peanut butter but they seem to get wise to that and avoid it.

Professional exterminators want to charge $200.00 per visit and won't guarantee they can get rid of them. And they're sneaky, small and very destructive. Look like small rats, or big mice, black with short tails. They chew off the bark on main branches and the whole branch dies. Nasty little buggers.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What about creating a deep tub with easy entrance filled with krypton or xenon? Both are nice and heavy and non toxic, so will remain where you put them. Animal follows bait trail, munchy munchy, by the time it realises there's something wrong it's already on the way to asphyxiation.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
What about creating a deep tub with easy entrance filled with krypton or xenon? Both are nice and heavy and non toxic, so will remain where you put them. Animal follows bait trail, munchy munchy, by the time it realises there's something wrong it's already on the way to asphyxiation.
Wouldn't CO2 be a little easier to manufacture?
Some fruit in the water and a bit of yeast. They will die happy.

Steve

Sugga sugga

Jan 25, 2016
Fargo
Take an oil barrel fill it 3/4 this full of water build a ramp so the rats can get to It with ease. Take a peice of something that will like foam insulation in put some food on it. The rats will jump in to get the food and not be able to get out

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The rat would take all night dying. It would keep getting out to go to the bathroom.