Who Remebers?

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
No, we had Jetex here too; I think they're still available. No these things I'm on about were small models, and given they were small to a 7 year old, they were probably tiny.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Those I don't remember but I do recall little tin boats that relied on a candle to heat water that boiled and the steam came out of a pipe under the stern and propelled the boat along. They made a little 'popping' noise as the water boiled. They were three or four inches long and you used a 1/2" section of a birthday candle set in a tray under the 'boiler'.

But of course you'd never see anything that 'dangerous' today.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Me and my brother had a pirate set each one Christmas, and the spring and rubber tipped dart "pistols" required a good hard shove to load. Sufficiently hard for the old man to take the darts away from us. I think I know why; he took the rubber tip off and fired a dart through a newspaper, which isn't to be sneezed at as a weapon.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Cap guns. Don't know why I miss 'em so. But I do. It may not sound exciting to today's kids, but out in the sticks "Cops and Robbers" was one of the games just about everyone knew how to play. One of the few things you could get all neighborhood kids involved in. That, and flashlight tag for after dark. Bicycles races. Man I miss my orange Stingray.

BTW: did anybody else here ever wait until all your fellow scouts were asleep in their tents before tossing a roll of caps into the campfire embers? Or was that just my young, stupid, sadistic self? (Caught **** for that.)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Those I don't remember but I do recall little tin boats that relied on a candle to heat water that boiled and the steam came out of a pipe under the stern and propelled the boat along. They made a little 'popping' noise as the water boiled. They were three or four inches long and you used a 1/2" section of a birthday candle set in a tray under the 'boiler'.

But of course you'd never see anything that 'dangerous' today.

Tom
You can still get them. Seven dollars and fifty cents each. Sixteen hundred in stock.

http://www.puttputtboats.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=13

What are you waiting for?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Cap guns, double up the caps for a bigger bang. The guns would wear out or the hammer would break.

Cap bombs, throw them in the air, same again, double the caps up for more bang, but don't overdo it, or they cushion themselves and fail to go off.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I don't know if today's kid could make it through our kind of childhood.......and the parents are no longer allowed to say, "So what did you think would happen, Stupid??"

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A roll of caps, a hammer and a hard surface. No safety glasses, no gloves, and we never got hurt. Or if we did our parents would say, "Bet you won't do that again."

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
"Mom! Mom! Can I lick the bowl?" "No, you'll pull the chain like everyone else."

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
One of my all time favorites was the Cox .049 powered dragsters.
You pounded a huge nail in a couple sidewalk cracks and strung a wire between them, then you ran the car down the wire, tripping the chute at the end.
EPIC stinking nitro fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFsoFvAL0Xw
That reminds me: anybody here build a CO2 car in shop class. Oh man, that was a blast. We came up with some crazy designs in our class. Some were dragster shapes with trippy paint jobs. Some were simple plain-colored missile shapes. Then we had a race when we were done. The winner was Joe, who went all-out. His was a black, pointed car - tapered toward the front. He'd used graphite on the wheels and everything.

When I brought mine home, I got a crazy idea - I took it out later in the evening when the street was quiet (as I lived in a somewhat rural neighborhood) and stuck an Estes "D" model rocket engine in it, just to see how it would do. Well, it scooted pretty quick, flipped after hitting a decorative rock, and I never saw it again. It was really fast, and that part was amazing, but I regretted losing the car like that. I remember looking all over where I thought it landed but it must have gone under a neighbor's porch or something.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
We did that in school too.
We conned the shop teacher into 'making an exhibition run'.
No one planned on the rocket engine filling the gym with smoke, or the car hitting the far wall and disintegrating in a spectacular display.
It was Absofrigginlootly awesome!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I still have a couple of Co2 powered cars. One is a rear engine dragster type, the other styled after my hot rod. Where I used to work there were five of us who built and raced them on a smooth concrete warehouse floor at lunch time.
We always had a crowd coming to watch.

Tom

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
One of my all time favorites was the Cox .049 powered dragsters.
You pounded a huge nail in a couple sidewalk cracks and strung a wire between them, then you ran the car down the wire, tripping the chute at the end.
EPIC stinking nitro fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFsoFvAL0Xw
I had the black 1964 Corvette Stingray w/Cox .049. You could also put it on a tether and run it in circles.....it was so fast you could hardly see the thing just before it ran out of fuel.

I loved that little gas car. He who remembers, rarely forgets....