clutch bearing stuck (jammed)

GoldenMotor.com

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Ok, so I'm putting together my other engine for electrical mock up,
Go to put in clutch bearing, rod, and side panel.... only to see that the panel will not even close to screw on.
So I take stuff out, bearing covered in grease.... no problem, degrease, and use magneto and screwdriver to pull it out.
Problem.... bearing is jammed in
Can't get it out to save my life. Tried magnet, tried knocking on other side, etc etc.
I'm guessing this has happened to someone before, how do you get it out with out disassembling the entire engine/clutch assembly???

It's a 66ht

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
happened to me a couple times - considered using overnight soak in penetrating oil, but in the end just left it in

never had a problem with these, tho I've disassembled that whole shaft just to see what's there

no reason that bearing would cause a problem

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
The problem is the bucking bar won't go in all the to allow the cover to go on.
Need to figure something out or tear it down again :s

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you sure there isn't two ball bearings in the shaft? I saw a new engine come that way. Someone at the factory forgot he'd already put one in then added another one. The clutch actuator cover was screwed on but loose.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
bucking bars come in several sizes and the inner adjustment for the shaft-spring can cause the 'at rest' position to be off

also, if the shaft isn't seated all the way into the case, it can protrude a bit too much (how do the clutch & bevel gear line up on the other side?)

note also, that the flower nut can change how much the bucking bar protrudes from the shaft

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm re-reading your first post. From it, it sounds as if you initially had the ball bearing out.

You said,
"So I take stuff out, bearing covered in grease.... no problem, degrease, and use magneto and screwdriver to pull it out." (I'm assuming you meant 'magnet'.)

Did it come out easily the first time? Did it go back in easily?

I think it might be stuck in the grease but that doesn't explain why you can't put the actuator cover back on. Except maybe you're just not compressing the grease out enough? Try getting the three screws started then tightening them to bring the cover against the case. Don't force it! Just tighten the screws enough so it doesn't feel like metal to metal. Grease is a liquid and can't be compressed but it can be 'squeezed out' if there is enough space.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
bucking bars come in several sizes and the inner adjustment for the shaft-spring can cause the 'at rest' position to be off

also, if the shaft isn't seated all the way into the case, it can protrude a bit too much (how do the clutch & bevel gear line up on the other side?)

note also, that the flower nut can change how much the bucking bar protrudes from the shaft
Good thought. Did you do any adjustment to the clutch flower nut?

Tom

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Actually I did mean magneto lol, it works.
I didn't get it out though, that's the thing. I was thinking it would be that simple, but it wouldn't budge.
The flower nut is only just on holding stuff together until g get the drive side on to adjust everything.
Didn't get a chance to get into shop last night.
Will have a look at it tonight to see what I can do.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
alright so i figured it out.. kinda
not sure Y the bearing was stuck.. but managed to get it out.
then i remember that i ordered a clutch kit, so i looked around for the remaining parts
found bucking bar that was almost 1/4inch shorter!!
that one works beautifully. :)

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
i had ordered a clutch kit about 3yrs ago... had only used the main clutch bell as the one that came in my second engine didnt have theads to remove it. so wasnt much left to it when i got it out . the rest of the kit has dispersed among my parts. apparently the bucking bar got into my assembly parts bowl somehow...

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Glad to hear you got it solved, Leg. We'll get some rides in when I sort out the bugs with my new motor.

So, different length bucking bars.... the mysteries of the East continue. Sometimes it seems more like miseries.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sounds to me like flower nut not adjusted correctly. I use the clutch arm when assembling to compress clutch allowing flower nut to be hand tightened. Simply hold arm where you want it and tighten flower nut to set it there. If you do NOT use clutch arm and cover to adjust, you MUST tighten flower nut with needlenose pliers to compress springs or clutch arm will stick out too far, and you risk stripping flower nut due to too few threads holding it.
All the above assumes bucking bar and ball are in place and correct length.
Aim for the clutch arm to be parallel with cover or slightly past towards carb. The closer it is to 90 degrees to the cable, the easier your clutch pull will be.