stubby spark plugs?

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Anyone know where to get those really short plugs that used to come with the 49cc motors? Got a 'hitting frame' problem that one of these may fix.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try an auto parts store. Ask for an Autolite #2976. I've used them on a couple of 24" builds. Works good in a China Girl.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
thanx, all my kits these days come with straight heads & changing them all could become a pain if I decide to build more of these schwinn majestics

I worked on one several months ago, and found it to be the best handling bike I've ridden - handles like a mid-sixties triumph motorcycle.

if it becomes too much of a problem to build, I may go with the huffy fresno tho

just thinking that I should start making just one or two kinds of bikes & always have a couple ready to sell

got to keep costs down tho, as anything over $400 is hard to sell in this area

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The heads for the GT5 engines are slant with standard(or close) compression. They can be recognized by the taller fins. The low fin head is the high compression hot runner. Best thing I ever did was get rid of one of those.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yeah, slant head would solve it & may be the way to go if there is a market for these, but for this first one, I want to see how low I can keep costs ($140 ebay kits are flooding local CL market while mine are at $165)

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
thanx, the autozone store near me has them - I have a large plug in it now, but could only put it in with that combo tool that used to come with the kits that has a 10mm on one end & an open plug wrench on the other, also had to trim the skirt on the rubber plug cap

this'll solve all the without having to use a slant head that may overheat in this area (will still have the problem of not being able to take top off carb without loosening body & tilting to right side)

rode it a few min ago, and handling is just incredible

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
well, that didn't work

got the stubby plug & I can get the plug cap over it OK now, but I had to cut off the top of the plug tool & cut slots in it to get the plug in and out of the motor

I'm trying to decide which two models of bikes to build on a regular basis for sale; and this one handles so well that I may just change all the heads from now on.

pics of the bike (almost done) & the tool I cut

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yeah, got one, but it won't go past the frame to get on the plug - the one I made is just a 1/4in taller than the stubby plug & is still a tight squeeze to get it on

also have to tilt the carb a bit to get throttle cable to pull smoothly & have to loosen & turn carb sideways to open cap on top - changing heads won't fix this, but I may be able to lower chain guard another 1/4in and get motor lower that way

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A little tilt to the carb won't matter. You might have to adjust float level if the tilt is excessive but it'll still work.

Or, look for a more user friendly frame?

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've ridden hundreds of these & this frame is best handling I've seen - it's trying to cap the final sale price at $450 that is giving the most trouble. With about $195 for bike & $165 for kit, there's only so much hand modifying I can do : (

The only other bike I really like is the huffy fresno that has a spoke ring so huge on back hub that I have to hand file all holes in rag joint parts to get the bolts to go out around it, but that frame deadens vibration so much that one sometimes wonders if engine is still running.