My happy dream.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Last night I dreamed I was riding my old Honda 350 twin sidecar outfit again. Unfortunately I don't think I have any photos of it anymore, but if I do find one I'll scan it and post it here.
My outfit was fitted with a plank built utility body with a fold down tailgate and I painted it Royal Blue. It got used for everything in the way of hauling things about back when I was still living on a offshore island.

The dream was quite vivid and very real. I can remember changing gear, the sound of the engine, maneuvering about over rough road surfaces. Straight-out highway cruising even though my outfit wasn't really geared for that, but could still do it at need. Wind in my hair.......

I hadn't thought about my old outfit for ages so it was wonderful to find myself riding it again. A really great cheer up after a couple of days of not being very well.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I know what it's like. Occasionally I'll dream of favorite things from my past. Sometimes it's cars or motorcycles. Other times it's various places I've lived.

I can't say, though, that it's a real pick-me-up. The realization, upon waking, that it's not real tends to make me a bit 'blue'.

But it still feels good to have affection for those old vehicles and places.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I had a car in high school, a yellow stick shift two door sunfire.
I won't say it was a good car, but it was mine. it spent almost the entirety of it's life in my parents garage, never managed to get it roadworthy and plated, but I did take it for a couple of spins.
the gearbox was a mess.
It was eventually sold for scrap and I moved forward with my life. about a year later, during one of the few bouts of decent sleep I managed while I was living in the NWT, I had a dream where I was driving the car again. but in my dream the gearbox was fixed.
I really can't explain why I felt the way I did but in the dream I had fixed the gearbox, and I was so happy to be driving the car. It was like a glimpse into a future that never happened.
To make a long story short I ended up getting a better place to sleep and a motorized bike. :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
My recurrent dream which comes up every few years finds me in my M1 Austin Healy Roadster, red with a silver racing stripe, wood and aluminum steering wheel, black leather upholstery, wind in my hair and smiling at being alive and young, Abarth free flow exhaust roaring under me. It is a wonderful dream and usually has my first real love in the seat next to me looking radiant... and then I awaken knowing that my beautiful roadster is no more and my love is an old woman married to someone else and with grandchildren who do not call me "grandpa". Waking up is like hearing the air leak out of my life and for a bit is a sad feeling until perspective returns with thoughts of other loves and other cars and trucks and motorbikes... and children who do call me "grandpa".
SB

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Back on topic and Anne's dream; My most memorable was one I had a few weeks after my Dad passed. It was vivid and real and I still recall the details after sixteen years.

There was a knock on my front door. I looked out from an upstairs window and it was snowing but there were no footprints in the snow leading to my house. I went down to answer the door and it was Dad. He smiled, reached out and took my hand in both of his and held on tight then our hands slipped apart and he disappeared into the night. I could 'feel' the warmth of his hands squeezing mine and see his smile.

It was as if he was saying, "It's okay. I'm fine. Don't worry about me." His smile made it easier for me to accept his leaving.

Wow! I haven't thought about that for a while.

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have only one "dream" involving anything with two wheels. It hasn't woken me in almost a year, but I used to have flashbacks about the motorbike accident I had in 2010. I'm there riding my first big bike, based on a black Micargi Huntington. Going straight though the green light thinking about getting to work, then comes the process of reliving the whole unnerving scenario. On the one hand, I'm glad it's been a while on that "dream". On the other, I doubt I can ever forget now to be extra cautious out there. The flashback was nowhere near what I would call debilitating. It wasn't bad really, mostly just slightly scary and annoying. And I could seldom get back to sleep afterward. That was the bad part: going to work tired.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Gad. I'm sorry. That was a downer of a dream. IWW started with a happy one and I go and post that crappy one. Should I just delete that?

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
sharing is caring.
it's good that in your mind a traumatic memory is annoying rather than debilitating as you say.
to me it sounds like you have made some happy progress from that sad moment, which sounds good to me.