The world's gone stupid........

GoldenMotor.com

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
I once watched a little old lady trying to explain to a cashier how to 'count up' from the purchase price to the amount tendered. The look on the cashier's face was total boredom, maybe mild scorn. He refused to engage her at all. I remember thinking, "You're wasting your time, Ma'am. He doesn't want to know". It was nothing, really. Yet it was kinda sad all the same.

And one time I was in a Taco joint drive-thru. The kid at the window leaned out. He had the plastic sack with my tacos in both hands. One hand holding each handle. In one of his hands, also, was my change; a few bills and some coins. He had it half-way extended to me, when he stopped as if frozen and looked me right in the eye.

I looked back at him quizzically, eyebrows raised. (Maybe just one eyebrow. Like Spock. RIP) I was on the verge of asking, "Is something wrong?" when he looked down, tossed the bills and coins into the sack, and thrust it the rest of the way at me.

Momentarily dumb-struck, I took it. The kid pulled back in, closed the window and high-tailed it out of there as though the devil himself were after him.

I'm not one to say, "I demand to see the manager!" I've never done it. But I was thinking, "I really ought to complain about that". I hung there for a few seconds, but the kid didn't come back. I looked a bit for an 800 number on a window decal, or something along those lines. But I didn't spot anything.

And that gave enough time for a thought to grow in me. Either this young freak will grow and mature to the point that he doesn't do stupid stuff like that anymore or he'll wash out of a job as low and crummy as the Taco Joe drive-thru. Either way, I guess, he didn't particularly need any grief from me. So I separated the money from the shredded cheese and went on my way. Thankful that, for all of my occasional stupidity, I hadn't sunk that low.

Truth to tell, I might have been flattering myself. Because I have been pretty dumb at times.

For that matter, maybe he wasn't even being stupid. Maybe he was on the verge of a violent diarrhea attack. Just a guess there. But the symptoms would have been similar.

Maybe I can forgive him after all.
yes, I call these "people" (for sometimes I do wonder ;-/...) "Pod people".

http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/InvasionOfTheBodySnatchers1978/invasion23.jpg

and yep - the net is fab - from all the documentaries and lectures (check out the Yale YT site for fab history (and other stuff) lectures - American Revolution is an excellent one) on YT and Wikipedia for knowledge of all things, not to mention the Oracle of Delphi itself (i.e. God) - errr I mean Google!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Pod People? This is the one I remember> http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=A2C926FC4FA732F7AE9FA2C926FC4FA732F7AE9F

But I guess you had to be a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan to appriciate it.

Tom
Oh gawd! Not the pod people! I only remember parts of it, because I couldn't sit through it all. Even the MST guys weren't so much panning it, as they were groaning in pain and contemplating suicide. The only movie I've heard of that was supposed to be worse than Pod People was Human Centipede. I wouldn't know for sure, as I've never seen it, but I am content to take the word of the general consensus based on that title.