Gearhead memories...

GoldenMotor.com

What is your favorite small engine and why?

• Total voters

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Me and the bunch I ran with a Kohler 8hp roller bearing iron block engine we stole off a cement mixer in about 1974 or 75. We ran that motor like the idiot kids we were for at least 5 years on dozens of different toys. It was the iron block roller crank that made it so sweet. Smooth and would rev to at least 8-8.5k all day long. We tossed a rod through the case one summer, and simply made a patch and replaced the rod and kept going. I swear it took abuse that you simply would not believe. 5-7 teenage boys, nonstop thrashing sunup to sundown and more. I bet it's still running somewhere right now.....

Last edited:

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
before slapping a two-stroke onto my bike the only small engines I had any experience with were the honda GX motors and the similar sized Briggs and Stratton motor used on lawn aerator machines.
in that application the honda motor blew the briggs right out of the... grass. the briggs just did not like the shift from idle to loaded, and the honda motor is lighter, and better layed out for servicing on those machines.

weirdly specific, I know, but you asked for my opinion, and you got it!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
CG125 Honda, it won me and my team a class championship in our racing, against "better machinery". Much can be achieved by correct preparation, and it's cheaper than buying parts.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Disqualified Ludwig.
I mean strictly the small single speed engines. Honda can compete, but no motorcycles.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Lol! I see you REALLY like the Villers!
I thought about including it in the poll as it's one of the best looking, but they are rare as hens teeth down here in the south and I feel most people have very little experience with them.
Now if you had said the Lawnboy....

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Raleigh/Mobylette 50. I had a single speed years ago,and will be using one now for the Cooper & Ludwig. Slow revving, plentiful and lots of spares around.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Lol! I see you REALLY like the Villers!
I thought about including it in the poll as it's one of the best looking, but they are rare as hens teeth down here in the south and I feel most people have very little experience with them.
Now if you had said the Lawnboy....
I rocked a lawnboy mower for a few weeks once, twas very nice. that said the people I worked with told me it had a B&S motor on it, but it looked just like that.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I wish I knew what brand of engine they used in the old "Fly-mo". I would have been tempted to pick that one just for bringing back wild, amusing, and frightening memories. The Fly-mo, as I recall, was some kind of weird, 2-stroke, hovering lawnmower. In my first year of high school, I took a small-engine class as part of the shop class series. Each student had to get hold of a small engine that (presumably) didn't run and bring it in to work on. One guy brought in a Fly-mo, complete with deck and handlebar.
One day before class, after we'd worked on the engines for a while and whilst the teacher had left to get something from the office, a heated discussion broke out about whether the Fly-mo would run again. Premix was tossed in, and the cord was yanked a few times. And I noticed as the cord was being pulled that the handle bar was not attached at the left side of the base. The Fly-mo started, and the right side attachment of the handle bar broke loose too.
And right as our teacher walked in, every sane student was climbing onto the work tables as a rogue Fly-mo went slowly bouncing around below like a pinball. Mr Swickt (sp?) had steeltoe boots on, so he went up and stepped on it. People went to the office. Some were there the next day. one or two were suspended. Principal asked lots of questions. Gad, it was hilarious looking back. We were so scared of that thing sliding around and trying to slice our toes off. One of many of my favorite small engine memories.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
it's very difficult to see nowadays, but I once leaned on the muffler of a lawn aerator and burned the marking of the honda gx muffler onto my forearm. Instant second degree burn.

of course I immediately turned the situation into a learning experience for the new guy I was training at the time.
"did anyone tell you about the hot part of the aerator?"
"umm... no"
*points at muffler, then horrible fresh burn on arm*
"it's right there, don't f***ing touch it!"

at the end of the day my boss told me I probably should have stopped working and gone to a hospital.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Gad, it was hilarious looking back. We were so scared of that thing sliding around and trying to slice our toes off.
Ha!

Reminds me of the famous Mad Men Episode!

I voted Wisconsin.

I discovered them kind of by accident as I wasn’t really familiar with them. I knew I wanted inexpensive vintage 4-5HP American made 4 stroke for my first build and figured it would probably be a Briggs or Tecumseh off a edger or something.

To widen my search I submitted a “be on the look out” request with the Queen of Saturday morning garage sales (My Wife). It payed off when she found a big strapping 1937 model AK within just a few weeks!

When I went to pick it up it turned out to be a retired former customer and he let me have it & complete “parts” spare for just $25.

I struggled getting the carb to work at first and ended up just putting a new 22mm Mikuni on it and Bam, now it runs great! With nearly 2000 miles on it now and I haven’t even lapped the valves yet and it still runs great...

Couldn’t be more pleased with the looks, sound & performance!!!

-Kirk

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
of course I immediately turned the situation into a learning experience for the new guy I was training at the time.
"did anyone tell you about the hot part of the aerator?"
"umm... no"
*points at muffler, then horrible fresh burn on arm*
"it's right there, don't f***ing touch it!"
That reminds of a lesson my father give me...

-Mr B. SR. Teaching about small engine adjustments for the first time with a mower running: Damn kid, be careful resting your hand in that area!

-Mr. B. JR.: Why?

-Mr. B. Sr.: Well, first off the engine will be hot and second you really don’t want to touch the spark plug...

-Mr. B. JR.: Why?

-Mr. B. SR.: Well, go ahead touch the plug and find out...

-Mr. B. JR.: Ouuuuccchhhhh!!!!!!!!

I suppose now days a dad could get in trouble for sometime like that, but I think it was a lesson well learned! :) :) :)

-Kirk

Last edited: