quick engine questions

GoldenMotor.com

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
Hey everyone, I've been here on the forum for awhile but have been gone for around a year. My bike is a skyhawk gt2 frame with a dax engine and a 6cc fred head. With a 38t custom disc brake sprocket mount from kings. I've brought it in from the cold for some maintenance. Upon inspection I've found a leak in the tank by the weld of the seat tube. This I don't really know what I should do about but considered sone jb weld to seal it. It's a small leak and you can't see the hole but can tell where it's leaking from. ill get pics up as soon as I can.

Now the other thing I want to ask about. About 800-900 miles in the engines life I bought a top end kit from bgf and broke it in normally. Now at about 2000 miles in total (1100-1200 on the bgf parts I have the engine apart for cleaning/ decarboning the piston etc. I've looked at both pistons and the old dax one looks better quality and its a bit heavier, now I'm thinking of changing back to the old one while keeping one ring from the bgf piston for good sealing while the other sort of has a break in for the different cylinder. The ring I plan on keeping its going on the top slot of the piston. Any harm in doing that? The reason why I'm thinking of this is for better balance. The lighter bgf piston had alot more vibration in higher rpms compared to the original. This is a 40mph bike usually cruising in the 28-35mph zone. I've had no problems whatsoever with this engine at all since I've bought it. I like to keep up on maintenance :) as well as using racing g quality oil designed for 10k rpm and higher (klotz r50 in case anyone is wondering) at 40:1.

Now the only problem I really have is that leaky weld at the seat post. Any thoughts of bad outcomes with using some jb weld to fix it? Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks for reading :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Mixing used rings is never a good idea. I always use them on the same cylinder and piston they were broken-in on. Moving them to a different cylinder means a new break-in cycle on used rings which may not have the material left to stand up.
A new piston and rings is cheaper than a new motor.