GEBE Kevlar Belt Source

GoldenMotor.com

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Okay, Update time. The Fiberglass belts are a no go, my partner didn't even get 2 miles before the brand new belt snapped and went flying down the road. Fortunately he had two spare belts and limped home on one of them. This was the Gates fiberglass belt, I have a polybelt fiberglass belt on there at the moment. I spent like an hour fighting with the alignment until it was running down the center of the gear and the drive ring, the tire was centered too so I can only conclude it was the belt.

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Okay, Update time. The Fiberglass belts are a no go, my partner didn't even get 2 miles before the brand new belt snapped and went flying down the road. Fortunately he had two spare belts and limped home on one of them. This was the Gates fiberglass belt, I have a polybelt fiberglass belt on there at the moment. I spent like an hour fighting with the alignment until it was running down the center of the gear and the drive ring, the tire was centered too so I can only conclude it was the belt.
That doesn't sound good. Strange. Those gates belts were what GEBE was using before they went to kevlar. You should have done better than you did. I have not yet used one but I think I will take my kevlar belt off and try the nonkev. I will get back with my experience. I hope I have better luck than you did with them.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Wow. Snapping a new belt that quickly just screams over stressed drive.

Too bad they did no drive engineering when selecting the components. Trying to do a single stage reduction with a very large numerical ratio requires careful component selection.

B

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
So it's not just me this is really weird right? I figured I'd get a little less ware out of the belt, I figured it would last a couple weeks but 2 miles! WTF. The weather has been bad the last couple days, on the next nice day I have available I'm going to take her out and see how far I can get her to go. I still have a spare belt so I can limp home on that. On this same note... I've seen these engines on chain drive. What do you think the odds are that I can convert it?

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I've seen these engines on chain drive. What do you think the odds are that I can convert it?
Sure - why not? What is the drive ratio now? Probably do it with 35 chain, but you can always run 219 chain if you need to.

How you would mount the driven sprocket would be the question - the current mount is sort of whizzer like. It looks like you have disc brakes, a top hat adaptor would work.

Last edited:

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
I 'm actually running standard rim breaks. I probably should be running disk breaks but at the moment just the rim breaks. I'm gonna have to do some research before I jump into converting anything at the moment.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
She is in Puna, and they got hammered. It may be a while before she has working internet again.

Hope all is well BL, I saw a lot of trees down on the news in Puna.

B

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Hey guys, I'm fine and so is the GEBE lol! My part of Puna didn't get it as bad as a lot of places, one of our tarps got hosed and there's a power line over the driveway so we have to walk out through the neighbors yard. Otherwise we got a generator that we run at night and hopefully Helco will have the power on by the end of this week. Thank god we aren't on the coast, the coastal properties really got it good and there's another potential hurricane on the way. I think its going to be a rough year out here.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Just letting you guys know I have given up looking for a belt source, as a mater of fact I have given up on the belts altogether. I have tried everything to fix the belt alignment, from making sure the mounting bracket isn't putting undue pressure on anything to tilting the assembly (like the manual and website state) and it has had 0 effect on the belt wear. I think I have spent about 30 hours over the last 3 months trying to get that damned thing right and I must be insane because I keep doing the same thing over and over hoping it will make a diffrence. Well No More!

I'm going to take the belt and gear off and get a good look at the gear coupling assembly. Then I'm going to figure out how to make this bastard chain drive...

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Stalled sadly, I'm looking for a piece of angle steel to replace the one that's used in the GEBE kit. Apparently finding it locally is a pain in the ass and getting a small enough piece from online suppliers is impossible. I'm working on other ideas for mounting, but at the moment I'm stuck and busy with my paying jobs.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
BL:

I cut metal for a living - what is it that you need?

If it is too small for an online order, it is probably laying in a scrap barrel.

B

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
That is an odd size. Used mostly by sign shops.

A formed angle is more common, with an equal wall & radius on the outside corner - will that work for you?

I can swing by the sign shop down the street & see if they have anything, but it may be formed stuff.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I just dumped a scrap can, and found a piece of A36 HR angle that is 4"x3"x.250 - It's yours if you want it.

Anything else on your metal shopping list?

PM me a mailing address, I can it USPS flat rate.