How does the clutch function?

GoldenMotor.com

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
when i move the arm it feels like nothing is happening inside. there is no tension on anything. also the arm is sticking out and it may harpoon me in the leg. is there a way to change this?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you need to check the bar & bearing on the drive side & the arm for the flat part on the bar - if all that is right, the clutch itself on the other side may be stuck or loose on it's shaft

open it all up & search here for pics of how it should look

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
I'm sorry. i prematurely pressed publish. I should have included more information. this is a motor that hasn't even been started yet. the clutch arm sticks out much farther than most of the pictures i've seen. I believe it is pressed on so would i need a special tool to get it off and fix it?

I don't have the clutch cable in yet or anything. I'm sort of bewildered by how this is setup and i just want a description of what happens when i press the lever in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You will not be able to disengage the clutch with finger pressure alone. Most new builders underestimate the amount of force required to disengage the clutch. It can be done by hand but you might want to wrap a rag around the clutch arm so you don't hurt yourself. The clutch spring is a big one and it takes a lot of pressure to compress it.
Until the clutch cable is installed and properly adjusted don't worry about where the clutch arm is.
Here is a good tutorial on adjusting the clutch cable and if needed, the clutch settings.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

I think you'll find that once you have the cable installed and adjusted things will look better to you. Good luck and let us know if you need further help.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So does this mean if i'm able to freely move the arm with no effort at all i have a problem?
The arm will freely move. Clockwise and counter clockwise, until it encounters resistance from the clutch spring (pushed inward toward the right). That's when the disengaement starts and the arm won't move anymore with hand pressure.
This is where you start adjusting the cable stop.

Tom

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
When you removed your clutch arm cover, did the bucking bar fall out? There's a loose bar and bearing that the clutch arm pushes when it pivots.
https://imageshack.com/i/caimg00512201306070010j
There should be a bar sticking out of that hole where the arrow is pointing.
Those parts fall out easily when you remove the cover. If those parts did fall out, the clutch arm would swing freely since there is nothing it is pushed up against inside. And you will not be able to engage the clutch by hand. I've tried.