Are "Upgraded" CDIs Worth it?

GoldenMotor.com

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
I noticed SBP recently added an upgraded CDI to their website and they provide a little rational for it. I know there's also the jag CDI out there. However, I have heard that most racers use the stock one. Has anyone done conclusive tests with a speedometer comparing a stock CDI to an upgraded one?

Also, I took apart my SPB exhaust today and almost a cup worth of oil spilled out of it. I am concerned that my spark is too weak and the engine is not burning everything. I have an NGK BP6H (nicely jetted) with an upgraded plug/wire. Stock CDI. The SBP website claims the spark would be better with an upgraded CDI.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Oil in the pipe simply means you are running a two stroke. The spark has no effect on oil in the pipe, and you WANT some oil left on the cylinder and piston after combustion. This is what lubricates the engine.
Switch to 40:1 and use a good oil.
The ignition is going to have very little effect on overall performance unless it is timed differently than stock. The Jag has been accused of retarding timing to hide crank problems by holding down rpm. The Lightning has been getting better reviews, but I have yet to see any real data showing a real world difference in speed and power.
As long as the stock spark ignites the mix, spark intensity won't matter much on a china girl. A good timing curve is what makes a two stroke run better.
Remember: Advertising can CLAIM anything. Real world results are more dependable.

Last edited:

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
I took a peek at my jug through the exhaust port and it looks nicely colored. I've been using 32:1 with valvoline. Could I go to 40:1 with that same oil or is using a performance oil really worth it in terms of performance?

The SBP pipe curves at the bottom so the oil pooled up inside over time (which probably reduces the effect of the tune pipe) so would using less oil help prevent this?

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I run the Lighting myself on all my personal builds. Ill never run a stock cdi on one of my bikes again. The Lighting on a stock engine it is noticeable but on a more advance engine it is much more noticeable. The lighting helps your power from low end all the way to your max rpm.brnot

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
In my experience the HDs Lightening CDI is a great product, I noticed a difference in how the engine runs with it better low end power and response and higher rpm potential.

I know some people will always be skeptical and not everyone feels they need anything more than what comes in the kit, which actually does a good job, but the HDs Lightening and better coil is an improvement over stock and many if not all of us who have run it have noticed a difference on the positive side of things, some stuff out there is just fluff but the Lightening CDI isn't one of them in my experience.

Map
.wee.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
No one "has" to believe me, and at higher RPM's so many other variables affect seat of the pants feel - but starting and lower RPM spark are absolutely stronger, huger, more robust - whatever word you want to use. And maybe I'm on crack and tired and just making this junk up, but bikes START WAY EASIER with well made upgraded CDI's.

I think the spark is more consistently strong if I were to use flowery language. Do I have a dynometer, 0-40 mph times? No I don't.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Easier starting and more responsive is the first thing i noticed, It does make a difference, I will add that if someone just putts around on their bike and doesnt care about better throttle response, doesn't care about their bike starting alittle easier and doesnt have the right carb tune, porting and exhaust for the added RPM potential, they may be just fine with a stock CDI but if your wanting to get a bit more outta your china girl there is no doubt that the HDs Lightening does add some improvements in my experience with it, its all about what someone wants and if they see any value in having a little better performance.

Map
.wee.