intake stud help!

GoldenMotor.com

rinodrive

Dec 5, 2013
redding ca.
I swear, if it's not one thing with this Chinese girl motor it's another. I was tightening my intake nuts to the stud, the stud broke off. I had justenough room on the stud for a small nut to hold it, but the stud threads (what was left of it) stripped out. Only one stud and nut assembly us holding it on. And now...full throttle, power loss and then gain. Can't I just use vice grips to twist out the bad stud, and just re install a new stud and nut? What :-||do I do?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I found that you can buy 6mm long ass threads cheap at local hardware store. Screw it in and cut off what ever size you want.
6mm all thread sold in Hardware stores is usually not hardened so not a good replacement.

Just replace with grade 8.8 6mm 1.0 allen head cap bolts. That's what my motors come with.

Yep, turn that broken off stud out with vise grips.

rinodrive

Dec 5, 2013
redding ca.
Hey thanks for the input. Both of you. It's good to know I can rely on my fellow human beings still. I managed to find a local distributor, so of ace hardware's ....uh. HardwAre doesn't work..then I'll call local bike motor dude. Lol.xx.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
6mm all thread sold in Hardware stores is usually not hardened so not a good replacement.

Just replace with grade 8.8 6mm 1.0 allen head cap bolts. That's what my motors come with.

Yep, turn that broken off stud out with vise grips.
I've never understood why folks are so caught up with using studs and nuts instead of cap screws. I have boxes of studs that I've removed from engines. Never use them, always replace with Allen head cap screws and never had a problem. Only one set of threads to worry about, the heads are smaller than the nuts so less interference with the flange welds and they are grade 8.8 metric. Torque them once, run the engine a few times to heat cycle the fasteners then recheck the torque and forget about them.

Tom