Better than a smart car?

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I've been following that story. Hope it actually happens.

They are slated to build those in a shuttered GM plant in Shreveport, LA, that used to produce the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, and the small Hummer.

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
I saw on the TV( I get S-port tv over the air) that there's some sort of a lawsuit filed against the company. The trikes may not happen, they're afraid they'll do what GM did, stay as long as they have no taxes & money from the city then split when that ends.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I saw on the TV( I get S-port tv over the air) that there's some sort of a lawsuit filed against the company. The trikes may not happen, they're afraid they'll do what GM did, stay as long as they have no taxes & money from the city then split when that ends.
I want one! While not as cool looking it reminds me of the old Morgan 3 wheeler. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to drive... manual transmission option is good. Some kind of light trailer hitch would increase versatility a lot. I'd like to see it on the market and would think it worthy of government backing to see that it happens. I'd say it is in the national interest. Think of how much gasoline it might save if a significant number of people were driving these. Looks just right for an old guy & his dog. I could drive to the east coast to see my grandkids for cheap. A lot of cars, vans and trucks out there have one person inside. We'd be exporting these and there would be a scramble to compete with it. Made in America sounds good to me.
SB

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
An update on the Elion trike...

Was just listening to the Shreveport, La. news and they reported that the city of Shreveport has successfully foreclosed on the old GM plant.
The city will now lease the plant/buildings to Elio Motors, to begin set up of the plant for production of their trike.

Dave

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'm sorry to see the GM plant closed. I remember when Ford closed the Taurus plant near my home town. I am excited to see Elio Motors move closer to production.
I have heard that many small motor companies plan to utilize facilities in Detroit vacated by the big 3 auto makers.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I like it. The technology of a modern car in a much smaller package. It's what we need.

If they really can deliver all of that for about $7000, then they've got a winner.

I've had my eye on a little electric powered trike called the bug-E for a while. But it costs nearly as much and is much, much less polished. The Elio, in fact, is very bad news for the bug-E.

I can't say that I really want an Elio for myself because I really do want to be out in the weather. Usually.

But I do wish that my neighbors and the others around me would start driving something like this. That is, if they continue to refuse to join me.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It's been my dream to have something like the Elio or one of the three wheelers that Intrepid Wheelwoman posted. Other than when I travel around the country most of my driving doesn't exceed 20 miles per trip.

How nice it would be to get into an electric or a small engined gas powered small vehicle to do the traveling that I need to do.

Steve.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I could build a nice, weather proof, electric assisted velomobile (body mounted on a reverse trike) for about 3 grand. To me, the Elio is a much better deal at under $7000.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Truly amazing. I really want one. I have a small courier business and that (the MPG) would be a tidy raise in pay.

All the videos I have watched and information I found, state it won't roll over. Just don't see how that is possible? Any one find any thing on that I missed?

Would be really cool if this works and is safe at speed!

Thanks for posting WB.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan, apparently Top Gear messed around with that Reliant Robin's suspension in order to make it unstable so it would tip over more easily.
LOL, IW Woman, By putting Jeremy Clarkson in it?
Kidding, I am a huge fan.

Makes sense though. I can't get my dog to roll over that easy.

The tipping thing really does worry me. If I could figure that and making a shell out, I would be in the shop trying to make one now.

Think we could put some pedals on it and welcome it to our forum? Hah..
Too funny, Barry.

Now we need a new sub section.....

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've driven Reliants, and yes, you can lift a wheel by being stupid. Cornering quickly is done by going in slow and in the right gear, and then flooring it progressively.

The major Don't is turn and hit the brakes hard, that's all.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
SO you can't trail brake to get rid of the understeer, and by shifting weight transfer backward for a stable platform mid corner, it feeds in more understeer. Bleh.

Reminds me of this understeering pig of a protoype race car, total design failure:

Reminds me of a certain SNL TV Cartoon Funhouse, lol!