PK 80 connecting rod big end bearing failures

GoldenMotor.com

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
The Dax engine still running after 4 years. That's pretty good, if you drive it a lot.

Well, I know some of the pk80 engines I've purchased from BGF are fine. I've run some of them. It seems that this is a new problem that is coming into circulation. How many of these bum units are out there I don't know.

-Fred

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT
My BGF crank failed after 15 miles but I brought it 3 years ago. Too late to even try for a replacement or refund. I just brought another motor from them but haven't finished the bike yet.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
So, does anyone know the crankshaft status on the current BGF motors?

Who has the best most reliable cranks and crank pin bearings now?

I owned a 2009 Dying Horse of which the crank pin bearing self destructed

Last edited:

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Well. Right now, there are a lot of problems with the motors that BGF gets. Other vendors also get motors from the same factory that BGF gets engines from. I believe that the connecting rods are fine on the complete engines. I only had bad connecting rods from the replacement bottom end units. But the story gets more complicated. For starters, I'm not happy with the balancing work that is done to the crankshafts on the BGF engines. They are not adequately balanced for high revs. Also, more recently the factory decided to change their source for the magnets for the ignition. These magnets can be indentified by looking at the thickness of the metal plates which make the magnet. They are thick (about .030" thick). The old, good magnets have thin plates (about .010" thick). Not only are the new magnets weaker, but worse is that they are 10-20 degrees advanced! I tried one of them and I couldn't even keep the motor running.

My personal favorite PK-80 motors come from DAX. They are called the type D motor. Some of their type D motors came from the same factory as the ones that BGF gets, which I'm not crazy about. The ones I really like are the ones which are put together with black socket cap screws. I'm sure you can request that. Those crankshaft are better balanced, and they do not have the crappy magnets.
-Fred

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
So, I'll have reconsider Bearings Grind Fast motors. I wonder about that ebay motor with the weird picture on it.
I want 'motor only' and I want it cheap.

Any opinions on the speeddemon.ca crankshaft part? Can always rebuild now if the parts are better, but most likely the same stuff in different piles.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
in 100s of engines, I've never seen a crank that was dead true - that's why I tell folks not to exceed the 'sweet spot' at about 2/3 throttle

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas