Bad experience with Gasbike.net

GoldenMotor.com

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
I purchased a 69cc bottomend for my sons motorized bicycle. I assembled the engine and installed it using a torque wrench. After only about 3 hours of riding both rear lower mounting studs broke off. I contacted Gasbike and was told to call back at 11am pst, which I thought was odd. So, I called back the next day at 11:21am. I was dropped from being on hold and told to leave a voice mail message. 4pm and I was never called back, so I called again. Guess what, tech support is only open 11am to 1pm, say what?!

In the mean time I placed a order to replace the bottomend with another one. (Big mistake).

So, I emailed them after placing the replacement order. I got my reply. "We have reviewed your claim and cannot issue a RMA because of over tightening".

That's not possible. I sent them a email reply asking for my replacment order to be canceled and advised them that I'd be disputing the charges with my credit card company.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I purchased a 69cc bottomend for my sons motorized bicycle. I assembled the engine and installed it using a torque wrench. After only about 3 hours of riding both rear lower mounting studs broke off.
Do you have a pic of your install?

Don't use the Chinese mounting studs.
Upgrade to something better like the ones that Sick Bike Parts sells.

The broken of studs can be removed fairly easily if you know what
you are doing. Broken mounting studs don't mean you need a new motor.

Did they break off flush or is enough of the stud sticking out to grab?

No engine seller is going to warranty motor mounting studs.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
all the china hardware i junk you cant trust it and you need to just use a easy out to get the broken studs out they wont send another one i dont think any company would i have replaced all the studs with bolts from them snapping on me

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
Do you have a pic of your install?

Don't use the Chinese mounting studs.
Upgrade to something better like the ones that Sick Bike Parts sells.

The broken of studs can be removed fairly easily if you know what
you are doing. Broken mounting studs don't mean you need a new motor.

Did they break off flush or is enough of the stud sticking out to grab?

No engine seller is going to warranty motor mounting studs.
So what is the grounds for denying a warranty claim on mounting studs when I used a torque wrench? Even with your level of experience your advise is "Don't use the mounting studs that the kit comes with". I'll let the merits of the banks investigation determine the validity of my claim against them in this matter.

The studs are broken off flush with the case. Believe me, I don't want to hassle with all this, but I don't see how I can remove steel studs from a aluminum case without damaing the case.

Thanks for the advise on the better hardware from Sickbikes, I ordred that kit right after I ordered another bottom end earlier today.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i have removed them on 6 occasions with 100% success rate use a easy out and they come right out then i went to ace hardware and got bolts
the banks cant do anything for you. you are dealing with a company selling for a Chinese company china dosent force there companies to do anything

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
all the china hardware i junk you cant trust it and you need to just use a easy out to get the broken studs out they wont send another one i dont think any company would i have replaced all the studs with bolts from them snapping on me
I have a problem the idea that I purchased something and now because of substandard parts I can no long use what I just bought. I used caution by using a torque wrench, I did my part. At the very least they could have offered to send me two $1 replacement studs and spent a moment to explain stud removal techniques. But instead I got what I got as a reply. No biggie, card holder agreements exist for a reason and by excepting that form of payment, they are bound by it's terms.

BUT, I will do as you suggest and purchase a easy out and attempt to remove both broken studs. And if I fail, then I'll deal with the bank.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The studs are broken off flush with the case. Believe me, I don't want to hassle with all this, but I don't see how I can remove steel studs from a aluminum case without damaing the case.

Thanks for the advise on the better hardware from Sickbikes, I ordred that kit right after I ordered another bottom end earlier today.
Removing broken off steel studs from the aluminum case is no big deal,
have done it many times.

I must have answered 3 or more posts about exactly that within the last week.

Yes, the sellers should tell you to replace the studs but it's also common knowledge
here on the forum.........

These cheap bicycle engine kits are not plug and play no matter who you buy them from.

Last edited:

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
Removing broken off steel studs from the aluminum case is no big deal,
have done it many times.

I must have answered 3 or more posts about exactly that within the last week.

Yes, the sellers should tell you to replace the studs but it's also common knowledge here on the forum.........

These cheap bicycle engine kits are not plug and play no matter who
you buy them from.
As a reseller, they're fully aware that not every buyer uses a forum so they dont' get that as a out. Also, GasBike has a business model thats likely to cause poor customer experences and frustration, tech support that is only open 2 hours a day.

Yep definately not plug and play, totally agree their.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
As a reseller, they're fully aware that not every buyer uses a forum so they dont' get that as a out. Also, GasBike has a business model thats likely to cause poor customer experences and frustration, tech support that is only open 2 hours a day.

Yep definately not plug and play, totally agree their.
Jim, I am no fan of gasbike but in this case they really didn't
do anything wrong.
I recommend everyone who asks to not buy from gasbike for
the reasons you quote and more.

What setting did you torque the mounting bolts to?
What bike do you have this kit on?
Do you have a pic?
Maybe the way you have the engine installed is contributing to
why both studs broke as that is kind of unusual.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Here is why you will lose any case against them with Paypal or the credit card company: You already used it. I am sorry to say, but on their website AND in the manual, it EXPRESSLY states that they ONLY warranty UNUSED items in the original packaging. By purchasing the item, you have already accepted those terms. Therefore, you are screwed when trying to get your money back. Dont get me wrong, I am not in any way defending gasbike or their practices. I got screwed out of $45 from them last year when I didnt receive a part that I ordered. I opened a case against them, and Paypal still didnt get my money back. I just dont buy from them anymore. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I buy on eBay now. Its unfortunate, but if you expect high quality and reasonable customer service, you wont get it from gasbike.