Hi Folks

GoldenMotor.com

Jstude

Jul 3, 2008
South Carolina
A couple of weeks ago, I was in my shed replacing the front brakes on my old '55 Studebaker truck and nearly stumbled over an old homelite chainsaw I haven’t used in years. So, I picked it up and placed it under one of my bicycles that I haven’t ridden much lately. As I was repacking the grease in the old pickup's wheel bearings, my mind wandered back about 40 years to Vietnam and all those motorized bicycles (among other things) I saw over there. Then I thought, "why not cobble the old chainsaw engine on one of my old bicycles?" After giving it some serious thought, I decided to look on eBay and see if anyone was selling one of the old vintage friction drive motors like the ones I had seen in Vietnam. Wow! I couldn't believe all that was being offered. So, then I began to read, google, etc. That's how I found this forum. Finally, I decided the chainsaw would still be a better "chainsaw" than a bike engine. Today I found a New Moon Dog bike at wal-mart that was missing a seat post. After talking to the manager, I bought the bike for $60 bucks. 5 minutes after I got home, I yanked a seat post from an old junk bike I have and was pedaling around the yard on a bike much like the ones from my youth, 'cept this one has gears and cable brakes! My HT kit should arrive tomorrow! So, in a few days, Grandpa has discovered another way to embarrass Grandma! Let the fun begin

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us. This Grampy built a bike for Grammy too. She's yet to ride it but it gives me two bikes to ride:D..............................

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Welcome Jstude :)

If ya wanna cobble......check out those Ricumbili thereads we were mulling over
a few weeks back. They are Cuban kids homebuilts where they swipe generator motors off Soviet tanks down there and make some the most ....well ya just gotta see them. But they will be right down your alley.

Deacon was kicking around a way of mounting a sprocket to the front wheel
and mounting a string trimmer or chain saw above the front wheel. Since your chain saw has a centrifigul clutch already a few simple adaptations could have you riding high. I'd figure the exhaust would be your larest secondary issue after you're up and running. (you may want to run a tube down one fork and put a muffler on it there so the noise and smoke are vented away from you.

I'd love to see photos of your old Studie Pickup. I've seen some old Studie's at auto shows where they had cars, pickup's and a dump truck. When I was a kid I used to work for this guy who had a grocery store and he would pick me up on saturday mornings in his old 60 (some model) Studie pick up. It looked alot different than the earlier ones.

Jstude

Jul 3, 2008
South Carolina
eDJ, I just came in the house and saw your post. I just got e-mail from FedEx claiming they had tried to deliver my ht motor package but "no one was available!" I've been here all day. So I don't think they tried very hard. I was in one of my sheds cobbling up a homemade bicycle work stand. I have the new moon dog suspended from the seat post so I can work on it without having to be a contortionist. I plan to inspect and lube all the bearings, check fasteners, and fabricate better fender brackets. I did find that the front sprocket is slightly warped. I have a trailer full of old bikes that a friend gave me and I might see if there is a better crank set that will fit the bike. Any suggestions will be welcome. As far as the Studebaker, the truck is one of several Studebakers I have. I have not sent a lot of pics on the computer but will try. Let me know if it works. Thanks for the encouragement and I hope I don't tic anybody off for putting an auto pic on a bike forum.
Somebody will have to teach me how to attach a picture to these forums.