Floridian in need.

GoldenMotor.com

ropie

Jul 9, 2010
florida
Hello to all and hopefully I can get some help on a major problem. I bought my grandson a 66 cc bicycle motor kit and within 2 hours the crank has already seized. When we put it all together we made sure to put a little oil in the chamber and mixed fuel at 16 to 1. We did not run it hard and for only 15 minutes at a time and it just quit. when taking it apart, the first thought was the clutch froze or chain may have jammed but the crank itself is jammed. we haven't tore the case apart yet but we would like to know what the causes may have been to cause this. are the bearings on the crank needle bearings or sealed bearings? if anyone can give adise this would be greatly appreciated. it is very frustrating to have this happen this quickly. thanx for your time.:-||:-||:-||

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The crank has caged ball bearings but I've never heard of them seizing, they would make an awful racket before they totally let go. Does the chain run free with the clutch pulled then lock up the wheel when you let it out?

ropie

Jul 9, 2010
florida
when you use the clutch it will free spin but as soon as you engage it won't turn at all. we tried pushing the bike and the tire would just skid and tried turning the chain sprocket on the engine and it will not turn. the engine will not turn. the clutch works, so i don't think that is the issue.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
Who and where did you buy it from? Did you talk to them yet?

What brand is the motor?

Do not split the cases or pull it apsrt before talking to the seller.

Hello to all and hopefully I can get some help on a major problem. I bought my grandson a 66 cc bicycle motor kit and within 2 hours the crank has already seized. When we put it all together we made sure to put a little oil in the chamber and mixed fuel at 16 to 1. We did not run it hard and for only 15 minutes at a time and it just quit. when taking it apart, the first thought was the clutch froze or chain may have jammed but the crank itself is jammed. we haven't tore the case apart yet but we would like to know what the causes may have been to cause this. are the bearings on the crank needle bearings or sealed bearings? if anyone can give adise this would be greatly appreciated. it is very frustrating to have this happen this quickly. thanx for your time.:-||:-||:-||

swanman

Jul 9, 2010
Florida
you need to loosen the butterfly nut a few turns..then reset (screw back in) the screw that holds the butterflynut in place

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
when you use the clutch it will free spin but as soon as you engage it won't turn at all. we tried pushing the bike and the tire would just skid and tried turning the chain sprocket on the engine and it will not turn. the engine will not turn. the clutch works, so i don't think that is the issue.
Are you sure that it is seized?

Take the left side magneto cover off and use the nut on the magnet to turn the engine over
to see if the crankshaft will turn.

Sounds like your clutch is not adjusted properly and is slipping

Last edited:

ropie

Jul 9, 2010
florida
we bought the kit from gasbicyclekits.com out of texas, and we didn't have the issue until after they closed up shop in texas. i will contact them first thing monday though. thanx all for the responses. swanman, what butterfly nut are you speaking of ?

ropie

Jul 9, 2010
florida
Are you sure that it is seized?

Take the left side magneto cover off and use the nut on the magnet to turn the engine over.

Sounds like your clutch is not adjusted properly and is slipping
thanx bro for the response. yes we tried that also and still wouldn't turn over.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
thanx bro for the response. yes we tried that also and still wouldn't turn over.
Pull the spark plug out and if you can't turn the crankshaft with the
magnet nut then sounds like your bearing/s on the crankshaft are seized.

If you really did put oil in the gas then this is a fairly rare failure.

Don't pull it apart, get a replacement engine from your seller.

Let us know how they treat you.

Did you take the head off or any part of the engine apart before you started it?

ropie

Jul 9, 2010
florida
no we didn't take anything apart before or during the install and before we ran it. thanx for the help. will contact them bright and early monday morning.

swanman

Jul 9, 2010
Florida
we bought the kit from gasbicyclekits.com out of texas, and we didn't have the issue until after they closed up shop in texas. i will contact them first thing monday though. thanx all for the responses. swanman, what butterfly nut are you speaking of ?
if you are sitting on your bike... the right side of the engine has a cover...five or six screws...undo that...take cover off, and you will see a nut that has about six sides to it. next to the nut is the screw. loosen the screw so you can loosen the butterfly nut. I used needle nose plyers to grab mine. once you get the butterfly nut loosened, your bike should roll...with your clutch lever in. you will have to play with it. the trick is to get it loose enough to pedal the bike...and when you pop your clutch lever...it shouold turn the engine over. once you get the (nut) set to where you need it...you need to tighten the little screw back down, so the (nut) does not move.
Where are you in Florida...Im in south FL Fort Lauderdale area

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
no we didn't take anything apart before or during the install and before we ran it. thanx for the help. will contact them bright and early monday morning.
You sound like you might know what you are doing....
I presume that you took the right clutch cover off and checked that the
small bevel gear on the crankshaft is not broken, jammed, etc?