almost ready

GoldenMotor.com

2 lazy 2 pedal

Sep 2, 2009
st. louis
my kit 80cc came in friday. installing on a mid 80's BCA. picked it from the trash, lol! cherry mtn bike tho. the chain tensioner stressed me some, wrong angle and not sturdy. I've decided to modify it first thing tomorrow. that an add fuel an I'm off. I hope!! this may be dumb but, I really need to know if there is crank case oil in this thing? I know cars pretty well but not 2 cycle engines. can someone tell me? no plugs, nothing in the manual.. I don't wanna burn it yet...trk

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
2 strokes burn pre-mix fuel. Oil mixed with the gas. This oil content is what lubricates the bearings in the crankcase. They do not have any other lubrication.
If you are talking about a motorcycle, the gearbox does have gear oil in it. It is in a seprate housing from the engine, contained inside the same engine casting.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol ya get points fer asking man, I know far too many people that wouldn't have thought to question such a thing.

Better that then overlooking something that may have been important ;)

2 lazy 2 pedal

Sep 2, 2009
st. louis
thanks guys.
I got about a 20 minute ride and got home just before the rain started, WOW! that was fun! kinda ruff up to about 15mph. then it smoothes out nice. no exhaust smoke. should be lotsa smoke with the 16-1 mix.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I didn't notice any smoke while I was riding with the Wally World 2 cycle oil I used for break in just a little when I was idling. Just switched to Opti-2 today, ran an entire tank through and now she doesn't smoke at all. Funny thing is I thought I was out of gas WAY before I actually did run out, was so used to seeing blue in the fuel line that when I looked down and saw it was clear I freaked a little because I was 20 miles from home. rotfl

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That depends on what you call chatter.
They do make alot of noise, especially when brand new. The parts need time to bed into each other.
The "break in" period. After that they will quiet down a bit, but still make alot of noises.

2 lazy 2 pedal

Sep 2, 2009
st. louis
I've got just over 40 miles on the bike now. and it runs great under a load accelerating and cruising at about 20 mph. but slowly accelerating or trying to ride slower it runs ruff. should I be trying to tweak the carb yet? or better to get thru breakin first? I don't want to go fast all the time. any advice would be apreciated. THANKS in advance

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It seems like all of the cheap 2 strokes run like carp untill they are finally broken in.
You can fiddle with the carb, but be dam skippy sure it is not running too lean or it will cause horrible damage. Running rich, fuel mixture wise and running rich, oil ratio wise is required for proper break in.
The sparkplug should be black, but not to the point of getting fouled.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Tan in color like cardboard, is very good for an engine that has been broken in.
It is a bit too lean for my preferrance, but as long as you are running 16 to 1 oil ratio you should be ok.
If you are just using the volume of oil in the Poulan bottle mixed with one gallon as the directions say to on the side of the bottle, that is not enough oil for break in. It is good for after break in. I believe their ratio is 20 to 1.
To get 16 to 1 just do not use a whole gallon of gas to one bottle.
Exactly how much gas I do not know off the top of my head. I would guess 7/8 gallon.

2 lazy 2 pedal

Sep 2, 2009
st. louis
Thanks GearNut
it's a good size bottle of oil, I put 8 oz. in 1 gallon of I think 91 octane. I think that's correct for 16-1. maybe the synthetic burns different? I dunno. I checked the needle setting, it was at 2nd from the top of the needle. I bumped it to the 3rd, it ran ruffer, cud hardly drive. tried the 4th last notch, no idle, smoked alot, stalled. I believe flooding. so, I put it back, still runs same. maybe I'm askin too much from it at this point? after all, for the $ this is just too much legal fun! anyways, what kind of oil should I be using? I got the poulan cuz walmart was handy and that's all they had synthetic. I'm in st. Louis, anywhere cud be handy with this bike. haha!