Re-installing Muffler cap

GoldenMotor.com

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Peoples Commissioner Tirebiter, You would probably get away with some sandpaper on the inside of the cannister and the lip of the cap and then some anti-sieze goo, or even a tiny dab of oil or grease. If that doesn't work then you can go with the hammer but you should take the muffler off to do that so you don't disturb the exhaust flange connection at the cylinder. A couple of delicate taps of encouragement will likely be ok with the muffler on but proceed with caution.

other than that, how's the bike running?

Chaz Porgy

Jun 2, 2015
Marlton, New Jersey
Chaz, thanks for the info, I'll try that tonight. The bike is running GREAT! I'm on my 4th gallon. Should I stay at 32:1? Nothing like the thrill the first time a china girl fires up. Say hello to mudhead.
George

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Glad to hear she's doing well. Yeah, these babes are too much fun. Like the Godfather Joe said, if she's happy and you're happy then just carry on at 32:1
Nothing wrong with keeping her well lubed, it promotes longevity. You might consider that for yourself.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
NO HAMMER!

Try rotating the cap while gently applying pressure. There is a long baffle that fits in a hole deep inside. The baffle must align with the hole in order to fit properly!

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Actually, George, Scooter has a point. Remember that uncomfortable conversation with your dad about innies and outies? Just make sure they are all lined up. And don't forget to cuddle a little while after.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
NO HAMMER!

Try rotating the cap while gently applying pressure. There is a long baffle that fits in a hole deep inside. The baffle must align with the hole in order to fit properly!
Correct. The baffle tube has to be aligned with things for the cap to go back on completely. Don't beat on it. When things are aligned the cap will slip back in place.

Caution: Don't overtighten the nut that holds the cap on. And do not use red Loctite on it.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I remember a long time ago when I was using a stock exhaust the end cap had a bad habbit of falling off after I removed it and put it back on, we don't want to use locktite here... especially not Red locktite, the stud will twist off before that stuff lets go...
Mine went back on fairly easily after lining everything up but when there were a few snags I just gently maneuvered it either by twisting or rocking it into place using a nut to help draw it up, no need to beat on it to get it back in.
Also if you do have trouble with that nut constantly backing out, use 2 of them, use the first one to hold it snugly in place, then use the second one as a jam nut and it won't go anywhere... And that long baffle on the end cap... You can cut it short and it won't make the engine too much louder.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Glad to hear all is well down there. That debunked movie was so much fun I just had to share it. It's a fine example of the manipulation of misinformation.

Eschew obfuscation? don't talk with your mouth full, it's rude.

see you on the funway,

Chaz