Paris bans old motorcycles

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Its great to promote air quality, but I don't see pre-2000 motorcycles as a threat. I guess the big V8 big Landrovers don't affect air quality. Thank God they are saving us from those evil Motobecanes!

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
The only benefit that will come out of that, is that Pre-2000's will be sold off to the 2nd/3rd world markets in Africa, East Europe and Asia - by the container load.

That better not be enacted here.. my one street-bike is a '99.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
While reading this I was wondering what their motivation might be. One post alluded to air pollution. Fair enough. In the sense, at least, that pollution should be reduced as much as possible.

But to go after people who are riding 15 plus year old motorcycles? The very ones who can't afford a new Citroen? Ignoring, apparently, the fact that the newer, cleaner burning cars, will burn more gasoline in a given time?

It's the same old prescription for everything. Got a problem? Then squeeze the working class.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Government wants you to either ride the public transportation system or buy a new car so that they get the tax revenue. The government makes far less revenue from those of us that preserve a vintage vehicle and use it for commuting.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Government wants you to either ride the public transportation system or buy a new car so that they get the tax revenue. The government makes far less revenue from those of us that preserve a vintage vehicle and use it for commuting.
I think their motivation is actually different. I don't think vehicle taxes are a cash cow because the necessary outflow, for road maintenance and such, is huge.

I think the motivation, maybe even subconsciously, is the desire to have as many modern vehicles on the road as possible. And it even makes some kind of sense. In a narrow minded sort of way.

Picture a world of cars that communicate with each other. Throw in the Google self-driving cars, too. These vehicles might make traffic more easy to bear and more safe.

But if there's a bunch of 1986 Plymouth Reliants mixed in, then that's going to cause some trouble.

It's not just our 'leaders', but our very neighbors who want to tell you that you can't drive that beat up vehicle. You must buy a new one.

I call it narrow minded and short sighted because so much new technology and so much disdain for simpler transportation would be unnecessary if people would just get over the notion that they must, must, must (!) drive, drive drive.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"But if there's a bunch of 1986 Plymouth Reliants mixed in, then that's going to cause some trouble."
I have owned two Plymouth Dusters and a Dodge Demon from the 70s.
I would love to drive one of them down the Champs de Elysee with open headers.
The sound of my Demon would shatter some of those wine glasses.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"I have owned two Plymouth Dusters and a Dodge Demon from the 70s." --wheelbender

Lucky guy!

The Duster was introduced when I was about ten years old. I was just a kid and had no idea about marketing and imitating. Yet even I could see that they'd taken a Valiant and tried to pass it off as a Nova. Or a Chevelle.

Because of that I viewed them with distaste for a long time. What I didn't realize then was that they'd done a very good job of it. Based on what I've learned of that model since, anyway.

I've only ever owned one Valiant. It had a few oddnesses that made me wonder just what those Plymouth engineers were thinking. Yet it was, overall, such a sweet and loveable car.

I've reached the age where I've had quite a few cars and trucks. I don't give most of them a second thought. But there's a few that I miss. The Valiant is one of them. Maybe it's the one I miss the most.

Looking down on the Duster was an error. I shouldn't have let that first impression mislead me and I should have picked up one or two while they were still readily available.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"I've only ever owned one Valiant."
I was actually looking for a Valiant when I bought my first Duster. The Valiant was much easier to parallel park, and I did a lot of parallel parking. I just changed cars a lot.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This might a little of topic but a 1963 valiant was my first car, it was a ex Army car that was military green with the army name and number blacked out with a rattle can. I called it "SAM"

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Nope, mine was a three on the column with a slant six. It was not a power house, probably had a half a million miles on it when I got it!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've come to regret Plymouth's extinction. Their engineering of the Valiant was impressive, of course. They also had the blessing of the parent company coupled with resources.

What made me admire the Duster more was learning that they did that almost in secret. Apparently they wanted to go head to head with the established sports cars of the time. It seems they also feared that Highland Park would say, "Stop it!" if they got wind of it. So they developed it on a shoe-string (about ten million bucks, if I remember right), kept it as quiet as possible and introduced it into their line-up before anyone upstairs realized just who they were marketing to.

They get the respect of enthusiasts for squeezing a more curved window into standard Valiant doors. It's not something that we would even think of. Yet difficult to do with few resources.

And I don't know if this is a true consensus or if it's the feelings of a few enthusiasts, but I get the impression that a Duster with a 340 V-8 would stand up well to a Mach 1 at about half the cost.

I've never owned a 340. But I've owned a few 318s and one 360. From my experience with those, I'm as confident as anything that the 340 was gutsy, fast and durable.

Those Chrysler V-8s were fine engines. That high pitched starter noise was kinda weird. But it seemed to work okay.