mig welder

GoldenMotor.com

dirtwarrior

Aug 29, 2014
kentucky
I know nothing about welding but I want to get a mig welder. Must run on 110v not 220v. I can get one from Harbor Freight which is a 90 amp (likely to be inflated) or maybe a good used one off craigslist.
There are many things to consider welding amps, gas or no gas etc.
I am going to do simple repairs at home and some fab work. What should I look for in a mig. Any pitfalls buying a used one?

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I've done a lot of work with my bottom end Harbor Freight flux-core welder but I spend a lot of time grinding. A friend loaned me his Lincoln Dual welder for a while. I have to say I've actually had fewer feeding problems with the HF unit but the shielding gas option is really a must, especially for a beginner.

The Lincoln has a knob for accurate power setting and the HF only has High/Low.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I would buy the best welder I could afford, that being said the cost of cover gas can get pretty high. I have a 80 amp flux core mig with the Campbell hausfield name that does fairly good if you prep the metal. If I clean the surface down to bare metal it does good with very little spatter.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
it used to be the cheaper welders would wear out the wheel that pushes the wire out and parts were hard to find, but the name brand welders you could go to a weld shop and get the part at the counter. that said, i'd go to the store and see if they have the replacement parts on hand before you spend your money. or do what i do... trip over my welder on my way to jeff's[C.C.C.'s] house to watch him t.i.g.weld it. dennis