Looking for a new 2 stroke for a new build!?!?

GoldenMotor.com

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
If I had to choose only between these two engines , going merely by the information and pictures provided on each website and your own personal review of the Arrow 4.5, I would choose the Arrow 4.5 as you have had personal hands on experience with it.
If you look at Fred's motor pictures this should be his finest work using the best casting and parts as it is posted on his website. if you blow the pictures up and take a close look at the detail of Fred's engine the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired.
The casting around the cylinder cooling fins are simply horrible the CNC work on the cylinder head also leaves a lot to be desired for the price they are asking.
Keep in mind the Arrow engine pictures I wasn't able to blow up so the same could be said about their engines however since you have purchased from them before you should have an idea of what to expect.
The intake setup on the Arrow looks to be a better thought out also.

I have been on the fence myself for awhile about what engine to use
but the more 2 strokes I check out the more I like the Honda 4 stroke.

if I could find a professionally produced 2 stroke Brand name street legal engine I would go that route but it seems the Big boys have no desire to cater to the Bicycle industry.
The worse part is even the Honda motor as good as a name as it carries doesn't offer any warranty at all once you bolt it to a bicycle.

So if you go with the Arrow let us know and take some close up pictures of what you get, if the fit and finish is good enough and you are pleased with what you get I may jump onboard also.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
g'day guy's
talking about 2stroke engine
i here what you are saying in fact Arrow has the run's on the board on track with the race 9.5hp motor
Now FRED doe's a tightcase version custom engine in which would top that horsepower figure also,with a custom tune without reed's
i ordered a tightcase with a copper insert to his custom race heads and i must say the thing fly's i used a 30t sprocket but took that off being to fast on bicycle wheel's near 60mile's a hour to fast on a bicycle
i put a 40t sprocket on and now it is so quick off the line and still run's over 70k , the engine is so good but in saying that it has taken alot of dollar's to get it at this stage taken into account the pipe the ignition hour's of playing around jetting and so on ...in wanting a 2stroke race engine i see you alway's need to check thing's over and the adjustments needing
put it this way i so cant wait to build a 4stroke being so much better like a honda 200cc but in this it would need motorbike wheel's
i am so impressed with FRED'S single 2stroke engine i at the stage in refining another build to use another of his work but the twin version tightcase race motor this thing will be a killer 2stroker
i not to sure how much or far you was going to go with your build i believe the 4.5hp Arrow engine would be a great fun easy ride each and every day without to much playing then if you was going that way maybe the 4stroke will be the easier and best way
now i not sure on your road rule's but i guessing you would not be able to use on roads but guessing we not worried about this
whatever you decide good luck and hope my input on fred's engine helps you i not saying it is best or reliable it is a 2stroker so anything could happen but i know this one i use on my panther 1 bike is insane for a china doll but could break my next ride

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I wish I had your connections Jeff, but I don't so I'm trying to find the best one out there. I've had the arrow 4.5 and put a custom kx65 exhaust and it was a runner. Just looking for something a tad bit more........

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
Mike you asking about the GT-5L Engine, of FRED"S that would be a nice mild race engine for sure put a nice pipe with it,maybe a 38t sprocket also and the thing would be a beautiful 2stroker

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Yes...that was the engine I was inquiring about. I have just been out of the 2 stroke game for a while now. Just a little out of the loop with things is all. I would love to give the Arrow 9.5 engine from Dave Rust a go but it is a little more than I am willing to spend. I know you get what you pay for but that is still a little steep for me!

Who knows....maybe ole CCC will come off of his connection! Lmao!