Bearing Blues

GoldenMotor.com

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
One of my crank case bearings is failing. I have a dax gen iv motor with 1300 miles on it. I tore down the engine to replace all the case bearings with SKF 6202 2RS-C3's that I've been anxiously waiting to install in one of my motors. When I split the case the bearing that is suspect to be failing came out with the crank and is stuck on the crank shaft. What methods can I use to remove this bearing? Also after inspecting the other bearings on the case one of the clutch case bearings was also starting to fail. Other than that both of my Gen IV motors are awesome and I will never buy anything else..... I just may replace the bearings from the get go.

Thanks in advance for any help!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Find a puller that will fit between bearing and counterweight.
Or get it pressed off properly at a machine shop

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It SHOULD be a slip fit. If it seized and galled to the crank, you might be in trouble.
Either way, a machine shop can get it off.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
put a long drift punch thru the hole in the rod journal and hammer it off (not recommended if you want to reuse the bearing)

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
I took it to a machine shop today and they could not do anything to get it and I also took it to a mechanic shop next door and used a puller tool and it kept slipping off the rolled edge of the bearing.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Stick it in the oven at 450 for 15 minutes. Take it out with pot holders and smack it off with a block of wood and a hammer. Works well for removing bearings from small engine crank cases, but usually the metals are dissimilar which causes them to react at different temps. The crank and the bearings would be similar metals and may not work as well, but heating it up in the oven or a torch would be the first thing I would try.

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
I got the bearing off today using a vise to squeeze the bearing till it broke and tapped it with a chisel until it freed up. The new bearings are pressed into the case and now I am just waiting for my gaskets to show up in the mail.

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
put a long drift punch thru the hole in the rod journal and hammer it off (not recommended if you want to reuse the bearing)
I was just reflecting back to this old thread I had started a while back and I chose to cut it off using my cut off wheel. I since then have done another overhaul on a different engine and ran into the same issue. I ended up using the same method and beat up the crank a little bit but it was still usable.

So my question for you crassius is what tool do use in conjunction with the punch to get behind the bearing? Nothing i have can get behind it and give me any leverage to help pop it off. I intend to pull apart more and more of these motors and if I run into this again I want to know your secrets! I know this post was from a long time ago but your insight would be greatly appreciated!

thank you,
chris

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
unfortunately, it will rarely 'pop off', your drift will just barely catch the outer race of the bearing and you'll need to beat it pretty hard to get it off

if I had more energy, I'd make a pipe puller for these, but usually don't need it, so I haven't made one (I think description of that kind of puller is in the old thread)