Coaster Brake not working properly with Sportsman Sprocket...

GoldenMotor.com

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hey Guys,

My bike has been sitting because I'm having lots of issues with my rear coaster brake. It's a wheel Master wheel with Shimano cb hub (http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Cruiser..._sbs_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=15YFSAZ1R38HDC152747).

I install the sportsman flyer 56t rear sprocket with hub adaptor and then put the brake arm over that. Tighten down the nut over the brake arm to hold it in place. Everything is good, wheel spins, no hub play, coaster brake works. I install it onto my bike,tighten the axle nuts on the outside of the frame, and that's when things go wrong. Right away, there is hub play (like the nuts came loose). At first, I didn't think it was that big of a deal so I rode it. First time I pushed back on the cranks to engage coaster brakes, my axle snaps. I buy and install a new axle. Put everything back. Hook up the brake arm onto the frame. Hit the brakes and it bends my brake arm all the way around. Here's a picture of the brake arm (it's unattached in the pic).

Obviously, something is going on and I'm at a loss of how to fix it. Am I missing a key step here? I'm guessing I just need fresh eyes on it since it seems like a simple fix. I tried to explain the details but please ask any questions if you need something clarified.

Keith

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
once your bearings are adjusted, you must lock the brake arm to the frame so it cannot move when you tighten the axle nuts (also be sure axle doesn't turn while tightening those nuts)

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Okay that seems like an obvious fix that I haven't tried. So just slide the wheel on, tighten the brake arm then tighten the axle nuts, right? I'm out of town right now but will try that when I get back and let you guys know.

Thanks!
Keith

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
brake arm doesn't even need to be tight at first, just the bolt thru loosely will keep it from turning yet allow a bit of forward/backward movement to set the axle straight

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
First add lots of extra grease to the inside of the hub & then make sure the guts of the hub are re-installed properly!!
Then install the wheel & use one of those steel bands to secure the brake arm to the frame.