New to the motorized bicycle world!

GoldenMotor.com

MacGyver

Jan 5, 2009
Riverside, CA
Hello all you Motor Bikers! Thought I would drop in and say hey.I'm kinda new to all this, so, I'm going to be reading allot of threads. Any suggestions for a new kid at this? As in ease for first time type stuff.

also, since I happen to be making this thread, is it even possible to put a 155cc engine on a bike? My buddy in New Mexico said he did it just fine, and only had to adjust the pedals so they don't hit the engine. He also stated that he added a larger gas tank. Is it possible to do that? I mean, it kind of seems to me that it defeats the purpose of having a motor bicycle, and would be better just to get a motorcycle.

Anyway, just stopping in to say hello, and get reading.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: New to the MB world!

Welcome.

Best advice? Take your time. Also a new 7mm wire and a new NGK b6 hs plug will do wonders. Do get the chain too tight (3/4" of slack is good) and only run 20:1 mix for the first tank, go to 24:1 after.

You are right on about putting a big engine on a bicycle, you may as well ride a motorcycle.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Love the name do not know how how you got it but glade to have you here. We fix it all here someone has the answer eventually . It is a great forum!!!!!!! Hope you got your got your duct tape, and house hold chemicals. Ralph! Feel free to join in its a great place! We help each other. This is a big and very cool place!!!!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Howdy and welcome. You can do almost any thing. Bikes are meant to do just so much though. Up to you what you can make.

Build some thing cool!

MacGyver

Jan 5, 2009
Riverside, CA

Thanks for the replies. I'm not entirely sure which direction I'm going to go with first, but I used to have a pretty old moped as a kid, and had such a blast, I figured I could use one as an adult too. :) besides, my sister likes the idea of it too, and she's the same age I was, so why not get her one too?

GH, my family and friends call me that due to me being Mr. Fixit, and the fact that I can fix just about anything with a few basic hand tools and some duct tape.

Dan, I will build something cool!

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Welcome to the forum. Check your state laws if you plan to ride in the street. We have to get a tag in Arizona if the engine exceeds 48cc. Cheers

MacGyver

Jan 5, 2009
Riverside, CA

I hopped over to the DMV website, over at California Department of Motor Vehicles and I typed "moped" into the search bar. It gave me a several links to where info for the motor bicycles are. I even got a page that has pics, and tells you where your vehicle falls under for bikes. Pretty nifty. Says weather or not you need a license, need to register them and all that.

Motorcycles, Mopeds, Scooters defined

That's the link to the page of vehicles. It also says which license you would need to be able to ride them.

And here is another page with the registration paper for a motor bicycle. It's in .pdf form, and you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, but it's pretty neat because you can just type all the info in, and even click in the boxes, and it will place a check mark for you. then just print it, and either send it in, or go to the DMV and do it that way.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

Although that is for the California DMV. I'm sure the other states DMV's have a similar form, and it can be done in a similar fashion.