smooth starts

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
is there a way to turn the engine over without such violence. Every time i try to roll start my 66 in the parking lot it feels like i a beating on my frame with some hammers.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Use a bit more.clutch. I think it was Dan that said these are 10000 mile clutches on 1000 mile engines.. I'm sure you know, a.bit of clutch makes a smooth start..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pedal up to 10 mph mimimum then slowly release the clutch lever while advancing the throttle.

Have you ever driven a car with a manual transmission? Same thing. Your forward speed must match the engagement speed of the clutch and engine RPM or it will feel like, well, beating the frame with hammers.
Easy does it. It is a coorodinated action that takes practice. But you'll get the hang of it then things will smooth out for you.

Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Whether you mean starting up. or taking off, either way, it's not as rough on your bike as it feels. The spokes will rip out long before it hurts your frame, and I have never broken a spoke in thousands of miles on several bikes.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'm with 2door. You need to get more speed before releasing the clutch. it could also be affected by your pedal gearing. Lower pedal gearing will give you a smoother start.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I grind the tips round on new kit drive sprockets when needed. On some kits, the chain is so tight in the sprocket that it causes excessive drag and binding. Knocking the corners off the drive teeth fixes this problem which reduces chain drag. Otherwise, it can take several tanks of fuel before the bike loosens up.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I agree with 2Door as well. It's the same reason a standard transmission car will get herky jerky at low speeds if left in gear. Your speed must match your gearing or else you'll get that violent jerk when starting.

I misinterpreted your question at first. I was thinking you were trying to eliminate that herky jerky behavior at speeds less than "sweet spot". I usually kick it into neutral, or use a bit of clutch slip (not sure if that's good for it though). Since these drivetrains only have one gear (most anyway), I try to ride in the sweet spot whenever possible.

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT
Using 24" wheels, I am geared a little low, so I really need to get a good fast start and with my foot at the top of the pedal I push down hard and push my weight back to keep traction and then pop the clutch. The bike starts quickly and I don't pedal against the compression for too long. I have a small skip tooth sprocket with a short Schwinn banan bike crank. I have rounded the corners of my small sprocket with a dremel and use a moped #415 chain from treats.tv without a tensioner, and it rolls smoothly. The only issue is that the choke is hard to get to and it be great to go with a Bing carb, with a Bing, the choke plate raises up as you accelerate.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
I think this must be the reason mine wont stay running. I remember my old volkswagon now. my starts smooth enough but I cant get the engine to rev up before it dies. any ideas?
I made sure the cables are all working properly and the throttle is doing its thing by looking in the carb and moving the cable. the choke is wide open and I verified its working by visually checking as well. I am going today to get an inline fuel filter, NGK plugs and boots. I am getting fuel but I adjusted the screw on the carb a half turn CW anyways figuring I can dial it back once I get it to idle. Im treating it like my edger which is gas powered and has the same kind of controls. Unfortunately my small engine repair manual doesnt cover bicycle engines. Anyways, Im gonna try pedalling faster and releasing the clutch slower while slowly increasing throttle. Any other ideas I would welcome, I posted a hello in the introduce yourself thread in the forum.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I figured out my procedure. I have 34 t sprocket and Nt carb.
it is:
open fuel petcock
choke lever up
if line under fuel filter is empty or not full press prime button and twist throttle a few times.
pedal up to 10mph
slowly engage clutch (release lever
if engine starts immediately pull out clutch and lock
rev up a few times until hear boggy sound.
push choke down full open
rev throttle from half way to full throttle several times over about 30 seconds
motor should be warm, check mirrors, brakes , lights
ride...