Wanted: Cruiser frame

GoldenMotor.com

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
It seems to me that the best option (other than finding a used one on CL) is to just buy a cheap Schwinn and get not only a decent frame for a four stroke, but also a bunch of spare parts for tinkering.

Anyone have any suggestions as to a sub $150 target or walmart bike for a 4-stroke?
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/ezcruz_cruisers.htm
^Has a chomoly frame $159 shipped free

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-26-Men-s-Southport-Bike/20581487
^7sp front and rear pull brakes, but I don't know if your partial to no fenders or not.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just a word of good advice when looking for a cruiser frame for motorizing....four words actually: rear-entry horizontal dropouts. That is where your rear wheel attaches to the frame. The axle slides in from the rear and in most cases there will be no need for a chain tensioner (at least on one side of the bike). You can also add adjusters as shown below to keep things aligned perfectly.

Last edited:

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
How common is that type of dropout? I've never noticed that style on a bicycle. Do you know of any current bicycles that have it or is it only available in special order frames?

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
How common is that type of dropout? I've never noticed that style on a bicycle. Do you know of any current bicycles that have it or is it only available in special order frames?
Not real common unfortunately. The first Kent Bicycle I bought (Ridgeway, Northwoods....same as the Cadillac brand) has them. That bike has aluminum cruiser frame and cost $150 new. I've racked up thousands of miles on it and it still going strong.

And as others have mentioned......Felts and Dyno's have them among a few others. Sure makes tire changes and adjusting the rear axle a whole lot easier!

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Scotto is right and a good point it does make things easier. all Bmx bikes have them and track bikes have the horizontal dropouts, some of the older electras have them, felt and of course Dynos, one of the reasons why they are my favorite.

you can modify any frame to the horizontal drop out, I've done it on 3 frames

another option is to buy a womans frame and replace the top down tube with a new top tube, this would be a great time to change the rake if needed aswell

Last edited: