Looking for motor bike mechanic in PA

GoldenMotor.com

liz26914

Sep 6, 2012
state college, pa
So, I did something stupid. I bought a bought a bike kit without doing all the research.

I have 49cc chinese bike kit. I want to get modifications described here by Tohri http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=33994 done so that it would go faster. I need a modification described by nvmextc so that I can ride it in the rain.

I should have bought a bike that was already motorized but its too late now.

I am looking for someone who can do these modifications for me in the state of Pennsylvania. I don't own a car so closer to state college, the better.

How much would it be for you to do the modifications and how much do you think the parts are going to be?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Its not too late to buy a bike that is already motorized, if you havent damaged any of the parts in the kit or the engine. box it up and post it for sale in swap and shop, and ask for what you paid for it. Here is the thing with these kits. You cant just put them together and expect that to be it. They require maintenance, sometimes repair, and just parts replaced from normal wear and tear. Even if you bought a bike already motorized, you would either need to learn how to maintain it yourself, or have someone service it for you on a regular basis at the minimum, possibly far more often depending on what problems your bike may develop. I am not telling you that you should not own a motorized bike, nor am I telling you that you can not build or maintain one on your own. In fact, quite the opposite. I had NO mechanical knowledge AT ALL when I built my first bike 3 years ago. I did my best to put it together, called my dad when I was stumped, and learned a ton along the way. Today, I can say with full confidence that I could tear down my bike to the smallest nut and bolt and reassemble in less than a day. If I can figure this stuff out, anybody can. It just takes patience and willingness to try. As far as modifications go, two things. First, some performance modifications CAN shorten your engine's lifespan. It doesnt mean they will, but they can. People have a habit of posting modifications that work for awhile, but they dont always come back and give updates on how it affected their engine life. Improperly done modifications will destroy an engine in a short amount of time. Even properly done modifications are not always good for these engines either. And do you NEED to go faster? My engine has had no internal modifications done to it, and hauls my 280lb butt up to 30mph. The speed limit in residential areas is 25, and even if this bike went much faster, its still not allowed on the freeway, because its still a bicycle. As far as needing a mod done so you can ride in the rain, I use regular bicycle tires and no special modifications to my frame or engine, and I can ride in the rain just fine. I am more careful and ride slower, but it works just fine for me. No amount of modification is gonna make a motorized bicycle safe to ride at high speeds in inclement weather. Also, there are no "professional" bicycle mechanics that I am aware of in Pennsylvania. Best you're gonna get is someone who claims to know what they are doing. Most bicycle shops can't build or service motorized bicycles, because their insurance SPECIFICALLY prohibits them from doing so. A few bicycle shops purchase special insurance that covers injuries related to motorized bicycles, but that is only in areas where motorized bicycles are legal to ride without registration (not Pennsylvania).

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
And speaking of legality, that is another matter worth mentioning. Motorized bicycles are technically required to be registered as mopeds in Pennsylvania. I live in Lebanon, and have also lived in Pottstown and the Lancaster area. I have never had much trouble with the cops, but was pulled over once in New Holland and hassled about not having tags. Not all (or maybe even most) cops know the law in Pennsylvania, but a few of them do. Also, 66cc engines are over the legal limit for moped registration. Other forum members have registered 66cc engines in PA, they just remove the engine ID plates and tell them they are 49cc. The people that put the paperwork through arent gonna ask for any actual proof or check or anything like that. But if the cops in your area WANT to harrass you about tags, moped registration means valid driver's license and moped insurance. The insurance isnt expensive, but the registration process is. Your bike requires a special inspection before being issued a plate, that costs about $160, plus title fee, registration fee, notary fee, maybe a few other costs I am forgetting.

liz26914

Sep 6, 2012
state college, pa
um about the laws about motorized bikes in PA. I contacted the local police station and asked them what the rule was. They said I don't need to register as long as its not over 50cc, I don't have to register it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thats not state law, though. That might be local law. Sometimes local law is less strict than state laws. its also possible that your police station doesnt know the state law. that happens a lot of places. As long as they are telling you it doesnt need registered, your fine in your area. if you plan to ride outside your local jurisdiction, be prepared to be stopped. state law is anything 49cc or less is classified as a moped. 50cc and up is motorcycle. PA state law is well known, and I told you what it is in the interest of being helpful and informative. so when you get pulled over, you will already know why.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Thats not state law... ...so when you get pulled over, you will already know why.
To add... If your local police are okay with you, get it in writing. Keep that proof with you in case the rookie pulls you over. However, state law does require quite a bit of work to be legal. If a state trooper catches up with you, you might be in trouble.

How's the bike going? I can't really do much travelling, but I'm happy to comment here.