Greetings from the middle of nowhere.

GoldenMotor.com

GlueKill

Jun 16, 2010
Columbia, MO
I have seen maybe two motorized bikes on the road here in Columbia, Missouri. Mopeds themselves also are rare and almost impossible to find for sale. Figuring that using the bicycle racks at college and my workplace would be less of a hassle than trying to find a parking space, I am building my own motorized bike.

I started with a Schwinn Drifter and have slowly been upgrading it in preparation for motorizing it.
  • heavy duty wheels, 10 gauge rear and 12 gauge front
  • puncture-resistant tubes
  • suspension seat post
  • front disc brake
  • switch-activated rear brake light
  • stainless steel fenders
  • double kick stand
The front wheel is a rear freewheel turned around with a disc brake mount screwed onto where the rear sprocket normally goes. The brake light is soldered to the wires from from an electric scooter brake handle, which has a momentary switch built into it.

I just purchased an EZ Motorbike Q-matic kit from fellow forum member jbcruisin and will begin assembling it bit by bit in the free time I have between school, work, and sleep. I thought it best to register here because you guys are a very supportive group and I most definitely will need help putting this thing together.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Gluekill,
Looks to me like you're approaching this build in the right way, seeing to it that the bike is safe and roadworthy before the engine ever gets mounted. The drive system you've chosen is I think a good choice. I'm thinking about it for a build I want to do later this summer so will be following your progress with close attention. I'll be interested to hear how you like running it. From all that I can tell it appears to be a reliable engine and drive system. Thanks for sharing and keep those pictures coming...
SB

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Welcome to the forum! I also live here in Columbia Mo. Possibly I am one of the few riders of the motorized bicycles that you have seen around town. My first build is about two years old, 1300+ miles, single speed cruiser, blue and black, ridden daily as weather allows. I only know of another guy who has three builds, and I have seen one other yellow one in action.