Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Indian Tadpole

Day dreaming does make the grinding go faster Rick. I still plan to build a Sportsman Flyer based Indian and sidecar but as I was sitting there grinding I started thinking about what to do with all the parts I've collected and will probably never use in my lifetime.

It all went bad when I was out in the the storage and started looking at what was there. I have a short list of needed parts made up and and as I said this is what ever I want it to be so there is unlimited freedom.

I hadn't thought about the Indian tri car and the electric one side by side but it would indeed be interesting to see peoples reactions to them. The side benefit of electric is stealth. Makes you welcome around camp grounds and flea markets everywhere plus I could sell the story to the police about it being mobility device.

Steve.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Steve you are a shrewd fellow indeed. I'd not thought of having a Doctor write a prescription for a motorized conveyance of two, three or four wheels. Doctor's orders to get around the DMV...genius my friend! Just in case it doesn't work perhaps a bail bond and solicitors fund might be a wise investment of any spare cash as well.

Rick C.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:36 PM

I have the rear view mirror hanging card, a cane and the best befuddled old man act you could possibly imagine. I watched a lot of Tim Conway on Carol Burnett's shop. The plus is I live in the area that has the highest concentration of old people in Canada. They aren't surprised by anything.

Might well be a stretch to convince the police that the tri car is a mobility device. I'm planning on going with the explanation that those little scooters are demeaning for a man of my status. I'd go with the finishing argument that would they be seen on one if they had a choice.

I fully agree that a solicitors card in my wallet and the extra cash, such as it is, invested would be an excellent idea. Never to old to poke a angry bear in the backside with a short, sharp stick.

Steve.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I use a walker, I am well past the point of getting around with a cane. I have had the auto handicap sticker for 17 years. But I can ride a bicycle, just cannot get up if I should fall down, or be able to stand back up without the help of a walker. My Doctors, both civilian Doctor and my Veteran Administration Doctor have both signed off on the handicap use of a bicycle with a sidecar. I have had no issues with them about anything that helps to keep me both mobile and active.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:36 PM

God bless Texas and any other state, province etc. where common sense can be and is still applied and I also applaud you sir for your tenacity of spirit that allows you stay up on big wheels. Rick C.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian22 View Post
God bless Texas and any other state, province etc. where common sense can be and is still applied and I also applaud you sir for your tenacity of spirit that allows you stay up on big wheels. Rick C.
Don't jump the gun, it has not been tested with law enforcement. Locally I doubt if I will have any problems, but some towns are not as open minded as Abilene.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Understood I'm just up the road a couple of hours from you in Indian Territory and law enforcement has a tolerant attitude towards those who don't abuse the intent of the law (safety)...and thank you for your service! Rick C.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:58 PM

A bicycle with a sidecar or a tri car so long as it's electric and has pedals would be legal here fortunately. They would of course get a lot of interest from the police who would be curious about what it is and the legality but with three wheels and electric and pedal power your good to go as I said.

I would guess that there are police officers who would pull a fella over if he had a sidecar on his bike with a walker in it and arrest him but by the time that hit the news and the court I would like to think that the officer would be standing in front of the Police Chief or the Judge and have a severe lecture about his lack of intelligence. Having seen the quality of some Police Chiefs and Judges that might be a pipe dream as well.

I did build my sidecar child sized because the bike is not supposed to be able to carry passengers and my reasoning would be if asked that the side car was built to allow me to carry small items if I needed to and look interesting at the same time. Of course a delivery box would get passed that requirement and provide the ability to hold items as well.

I hope you get the bike and sidecar built dogcatcher and ride it in safety. I know about the falling down and can't get up. Not a joyful moment.

Steve.