replace studs

GoldenMotor.com

albert H

Feb 14, 2014
Madrid
Hey again from spain !

I am having some trouble with engine mounting studs, as they are becoming tilt to the surface they're supposed to be 90º with (its been a long time since i got the engine and dont really know if it came like that or touched something) . Has anyone had a problem like this?

They're studs for a 66cc china girl.
As far as i've read i think they are M6 with 1mm pitch,right?

Another point is the way the studs are attached to the engine.

I guess they are threaded inside, or maybe they are just glued? i ask this because before getting into the holes, its unthreaded, so i dont really know if it threads then again(tough i guess so).

In case of being threaded inside, is it easy to take them out? (which tool?) or is there a high risk of smashing the thread on the engine body while pulling out? if this happens can it be easily threaded again?

I still havent tried any of this until i have some info in order not to break it.

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You are correct on the size. They are indeed 6mm X 1.
You can remove them easily by installing two nuts, back to back and tightening one nut against the other then put a wrench on the nut closest to the engine and turn it counter-clockwise. If you have no plans to re use the studs then a pair of vice grip pliers will suffice. Yes they are threaded into the holes in the engine case.

There is no need to use studs. You can replace them with Allen head capscrews of the appropriate length. The capscrews will come in metric grade 8.8 hardness and be sufficient for engine mounting. Many of us prefer them over studs and nuts. One advantage is you'll have only one set of threads to be concerned with as opposed to two.

By the way, I think your English is superb. In fact it's better than some Yankeys who post here :)

Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:

albert H

Feb 14, 2014
Madrid
oh that's a great idea i hadn't thought of, thanks again!

Another question, in case the thread goes the heck, is there any chance to recover it, or any other way of attaching without using the regular mount holes?

I mean, if for example, lateral screwholes can be used to attach any kind of structure or something..

Thanks!! usflg

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
Albert,
the studs should be ok as well as the threads you screw them into after following 2doors' advice. Unless you magically strip them putting your replacement 'stud' in. Have a good day(or night)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Albert,
There is a thread repair system called 'Heli-Coil' which is a hardened steel spring like device that can be threaded into a hole and will replace damaged threads.
However, yours should be okay. Just unscrew the studs and replace them with the Allen head capscrews. Watch your torque. Don't over tighten them. 60 to 70 inch pounds should be sufficient. You probably use Newton Meters for a torque value and I can't help you with the conversion but it shouldn't be hard to find.

Good luck.

Tom