The Russian engines D-4,D-5,D-6,D-8. History.

GoldenMotor.com

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
dAGGER i WENT THROUGH WHAT i THINK WERE ALL YOU PHOTO'S "GRRRR darmn cap lock"

Are the forks on the brand new looking blue bike in the bike shop the ones you were working on with the paint brush ? They look the same. If so thats a very VERY impressive restoration job!

Also whats that stuff your putting on them with the brush some kind of polyurethane

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Super interesting thread. Looks like it's been dormant for a while. I only came across it because it was linked in another thread.

But this is the first up close look I've had at the old Russian "D" series engines. Nice looking stuff.

Klim Chugunkin

Dec 10, 2014
Russian Federation
Is D-series engine really superior to modern chinese analogs(copies)? Manual of original D8 engine says about 1.1 hp at 5000 rpm using A-76 soviet era petrol. Possibly, chinese manufacturers make some changes to increase output (I've never had one). Production quality of original motors also raises doubts. I think, only some antiques collector may be interested in things of this sort. cvlt1

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Klim. Welcome to the forum.

Buried in this thread, some where, I researched and found one company still make the motors. But they are used for pumps now. I would love to have one. This was at least 2 years ago and they would cost around $300 USD to get to the U.S. Big bummer.

But again, welcome and glad to see you.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Klim does bring up one good point. Welcome aboard, by the way, Klim.

Can we be sure that the Soviet era D series engines were of a higher quality than the current Chinese copies?

(I can hear it now......."How could they be worse?") :)

I really like the look of the D series. But, in truth, it doesn't exactly look like a Rolls-Royce engine.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, lol! "How could they be worse?"

Really did. Was putting a cough drop in my mouth and went "pFFFEFTH" and spit on it laughing.

I bet "cough drops" do not translate well using google to any other language. And would cause the question; "It is a drop of cough, and you put this in your mouth?"

Klim Chugunkin

Dec 10, 2014
Russian Federation
Hello, guys, thanks for welcoming me... ;)
"Krasny Oktiabr" (Red October, http://koavia.com/e_index.htm) was big Soviet concern (as you already possibly know), situated in Leningrad (St. Petersburg now), that produced throughout its history wide range of machinery (mainly military) - aircraft, helicopter, tank, tractor engines and parts, swashplates, surface-to-air missiles etc. The plant that made D-engines is its consumer branch and situated in backwater town of Borovichi. I can not even find their website in RuNet - only address and phone numbers. See some photos (were found in one russian forum) – made year or more ago, everything looks rather dilapidated. Most likely the plant has long ago gone bankrupt. Or makes some secondary components for parent company. Another non-military subsidiary exists until now - "Krasny Oktiabr - Neva"(someone has mentioned it in this thread), produces tillers utilizing imported engines (Honda, Briggs&Stratton etc.) as powerplant. It was common practice for big military soviet enterprises to have some consumer production.

My doubts concerning quality ensue from knowledge that by 1980-90ies manufacturing and discipline standards had gone pretty slack at least in soviet civil production lines. Circa 1991, being schoolboy, your humble servant got job as apprentice in the enterprise, manufacturing fighter turbofan as main product. Civil branch, where he was employed made high performance tiller engines (output 5 hp, weight over 50 kilograms :D). Patriotic youth as he was, he had all possibilities to observe that favorite pastimes of line staff during dinner breaks were drinking (cough drops :D) technical grade alcohol and stealing pistons, which abovementioned high-end tiller engine shared with some ubiquitous automotive one.
By the way, turbofan line still exists (under defence ministry protection), tiller line was closed (I suspect Honda Co had a finger in the pie, eliminating dangerous competitor :D).

Attachments

omich

Nov 3, 2015
Russia
Can someone help me to find out with model of KO i have!
It's seems like D6 engine, because the high voltage wire exits the ignition chamber.
In general, all of D engine I made a good ignition voltage converter and the ability to get a powerful light. About all this is on the site wagnerland.ru, which was mentioned in the same topic before.

Last edited:

veteran

Nov 28, 2015
Ukraine
Where is a site i can get rebuild one these motor KO D8E engine
Hello Nicke.
There is a good Russian site, where you can find full information on repair engines D.

http://www.wagnerland.ru/index.php?board=52.0

In practice, it is best to buy a donor.

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-motor-d-8e-novyy-na-dyrchik-IDqjY9Q.html#16c6173f35

You need to know the options of sending parcels to the Ukraine in the USA

Many owners of motor "A" practice installation of electronic ignition,
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/elekt...iga-5-7-11-13-dyrchik-IDiT2QC.html#16c6173f35

and can be easily installed on the ignition of the Chinese F-50 (80).

Motor D-8E is different from the motor D-8M presence of external ignition coil.

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-motor-d-8e-novyy-na-dyrchik-IDqjY9Q.html#16c6173f35

I am a supporter of D-6, as they Balanced crankshaft, and the D-8 is not balanced at the factory.

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-motor-d-6-na-dyrchik-IDq9Rdu.html#87794ebd2c

MCrayto

Dec 21, 2017
Turlock, Ca.
Hello Guys... I'm new to this site, was searching the web for these soviet motors. I picked up a new bike from a factory in China that has a D-8m on it. It looks like they are making them again.

Reactions: Dan