Motorized Kid's Bike

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
So I've got this little kid neighbor next door who thinks my motorized bike is just the coolest thing in the world, he's even put an old gift card on his so it rattles against the wheel and has a fake exhaust pipe made of sheet metal, so it looks and sounds vaguely like mine. I was thinking, what if I took a tiny weed eater or chainsaw engine and made him a little friction drive? I brought the idea up with his mom, and she thinks it would be pretty awesome as long as the speed was limited. I was thinking, instead of using a pedal bar or pipe as a roller, I could just use a piece of re bar so that high rpm would still not be very fast, and I could also limit the speed by adjusting the throttle so that you can't open it all the way. He already has both brake cables attached to one lever, so I could possibly use another brake lever for a throttle? Or I could use the twist throttle that came with my kit and I didn't use... Anyways, what does everyone think? Can this be done? Also would the motor unbalance a kids bike too much?

HDCowboy

Jan 3, 2015
Texas Gulf Coast
I think we take enough risks of our own and wouldn't want to be responsible of subjecting any of the neighbors children to any of those unnecessary risks even if the mother said it was ok. Kid crashes and you get blamed, dont sound like any fun to me, unless of course the mama is a hottie and might be offering some fringe benefits for taking those risks my mind might be subject to change. Please post picture the of mother for further evaluation!

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
For kids, I would inclined to stick electric power. (No exhaust heat) I think the friction drive is a good idea, so that there is no chain to hurt them.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
How little a kid? And where would he ride it? His parents are the final ones to decide. I'd have loved something like that as a little guy. Part of growing up is learning to take risks responsibly. Learning to ride a two wheeler of any kind is risky but leads to great stuff. Learning to swim risks drowning. I don't know the kid or situation, but I think it's cool that you consider helping him. If somebody sued me they sure wouldn't get much.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nobody wants to see a kid get hurt, but I think there is also over protection. Maybe it is a difference in generations. When I was a kid there were boys who put a washing machine motor on a bicycle and putted along. If a little brother wanted a ride, he got to try it too. Yes, there were crashes. We climbed trees and were expected to hang on tight and not fall. Some of us fell anyway. We tried a lot of stuff and also tried not to get hurt. Kids played stickball in the street and shifted the game to the side when cars went by. Nobody got smooshed. Part of growing up was in taking calculated risks and learning how not to get hurt, in other words learning how to be responsible. We made our own games and teams and rules and most of us made it to become big people. Nobody I knew was ever seriously hurt.
I don't know... I suppose I sound like a grumpy old fart, but it seems to me that too many kids have too many coaches and uniforms and schedules and too little time to self motivate and self entertain. There must be some kind of balance I would think.
SB

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Nobody wants to see a kid get hurt, but I think there is also over protection. Maybe it is a difference in generations. When I was a kid there were boys who put a washing machine motor on a bicycle and putted along. If a little brother wanted a ride, he got to try it too. Yes, there were crashes. We climbed trees and were expected to hang on tight and not fall. Some of us fell anyway. We tried a lot of stuff and also tried not to get hurt. Kids played stickball in the street and shifted the game to the side when cars went by. Nobody got smooshed. Part of growing up was in taking calculated risks and learning how not to get hurt, in other words learning how to be responsible. We made our own games and teams and rules and most of us made it to become big people. Nobody I knew was ever seriously hurt.
I don't know... I suppose I sound like a grumpy old fart, but it seems to me that too many kids have too many coaches and uniforms and schedules and too little time to self motivate and self entertain. There must be some kind of balance I would think.
SB
Even though I'm only 17, my dad raised me to have the childhood you just described. Walking to school alone in second grade (and having teachers threaten to expel me because of the liability involved), first pocketknife at the age of 6, exploring the 500 acre nature preserve near my house alone throughout my childhood (again, and having people complain about liability and having my dad basically tell them to **** off), climbing trees, building large-scale medieval catapults and throwing logs down the street in front of our house (the neighbors complained, but the police couldn't do anything because it didn't qualify as a firearm and wasn't on their list of banned weapons, so they just said it was cool and be careful, and one of them came back to show his son), all the good stuff that most modern kids don't get to do.

Onto this idea, it was his mom who brought it up, I just said it was possible and I could and would do it if she wanted. I figure I'd just set it so he can't go full throttle, so his max speed is about 10 or 12 mph, so he won't be able to crash at any higher a speed than he already would have been crashing at. The neighborhood I currently live in is one where kids can still have the fun they used to, so nobody is going to sue me.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Even though I'm only 17, my dad raised me to have the childhood you just described. Walking to school alone in second grade (and having teachers threaten to expel me because of the liability involved), first pocketknife at the age of 6, exploring the 500 acre nature preserve near my house alone throughout my childhood (again, and having people complain about liability and having my dad basically tell them to **** off), climbing trees, building large-scale medieval catapults and throwing logs down the street in front of our house (the neighbors complained, but the police couldn't do anything because it didn't qualify as a firearm and wasn't on their list of banned weapons, so they just said it was cool and be careful, and one of them came back to show his son), all the good stuff that most modern kids don't get to do.

Onto this idea, it was his mom who brought it up, I just said it was possible and I could and would do it if she wanted. I figure I'd just set it so he can't go full throttle, so his max speed is about 10 or 12 mph, so he won't be able to crash at any higher a speed than he already would have been crashing at. The neighborhood I currently live in is one where kids can still have the fun they used to, so nobody is going to sue me.
You haven't said this kid's age yet but I'm going to assume it's under 16. If so then build him an off road setup. Let him gain experience riding before having to deal with vehicles that are 30 times his weight. Yes taking risk is a part of life but there are some very good reasons for legally requiring a minimum age for operating vehicles with motors on the public streets.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
it should not be too difficult to construct a bike that has all the cool factor but limited performance. moreover you can go well beyond limiting the performance to increase safety; better tires, better brakes, lights, and awesome bike riding armor!

I think the thing is, if the kid is old enough to be riding a little powered bike, he is old enough to learn the ins and outs of making one. get a little motor, hit the hardware store and plonk the parts and some tools down with the kid and get er done!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
From a practical point of view, there are restrictable twistgrips for minimotos that you can get, and it's also possible to restrict the exhaust discreetly so no amount of throttle opening will make it go fast.

One thing I would certainly do is get a signed and witnessed statement from the mother that she takes all responsibility for what happens after the boy gets the bike, and we don't suffer here from litigation anything like as much as you do.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Builds like this are best left for your OWN child(ren).
Trust me, no matter how the child's mother feels now, ONE scrape or crash and she will be howling for your blood.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
It's a lot to weigh for a young dude, even though you seem pretty mature. Your dad sounds like a good person to ask about this.
You could even let him read this thread, and maybe we will get a new member?:)
He'll know the ins and outs of the neighbor lady, and the neighborhood.

When it's all figured out, I hope you are able to safely do this. You're gonna have to spend some time teaching him to ride it, remember. What a cool start for the neighbor kid!

Good Luck!

Trey-

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
lets pretend she signs a waiver and releases you from all responsibility.

Get a well used 22 CC weed wacker engine, and attach a 3/4 inch outer diameter pipe nipple. to the output. Use a rear slick tire and mount the engine so when you pump up the tire, it presses against the output nipple.

Let him ride it in his backyard in circles. He'll learn how to work the throttle to get it to start.

Wire the kill switch of course.