Attaching a gas line/tank

GoldenMotor.com

RatFink608

Feb 17, 2014
Taylorsville, KY
Hi Everybody; I'm new here and this is one of my first builds. I'm using a 42cc chainsaw motor, and I was wondering how to run a hose from it's small, built in gas tank to the frame of the bike where I could attach some other type of tank. right now, the gas cap is on the side of the engine which makes it inconvenient to fill up, and I would probably wind up spilling gas all over the place. Not to mention, with an extended tank, I could hold more fuel, and well, gas tanks just add a cool look to bikes. I'd really appreciate any tips. Thanks a lot, Brian

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Sounds like a poulan chainsaw engine. I have the same one, but never got it to run quite right. My plan was just as Theon said; just run a line from the tank to the carb. The zama carb has a supply and return on it, so you'll need 2 lines most likely. You can use the priming bulb already on the side and run the lines to/from it to the tank.

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
hey rat fink you could go to youir local auto parts superstore and buy a special t piece fitting similar to what I have linked in for window washer pipes in your current fuel line. I would just pop off fuel line from carb and connect to 1 arm and using a pipe to fit carb connect to a second arm and using some extra fuel line run a pipe from tank to third connection and there you go, just remember to switch on upper tank before you run out, may not fill chainsaw tank but will allow to have dual fuel tanks.

here is link to part I mentioned would be in or around where wiperblades and similar parts are in any car shop:
http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/s..._productId_176999_langId_-1_categoryId_212401

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
hey rat fink you could go to youir local auto parts superstore and buy a special t piece fitting similar to what I have linked in for window washer pipes in your current fuel line. I would just pop off fuel line from carb and connect to 1 arm and using a pipe to fit carb connect to a second arm and using some extra fuel line run a pipe from tank to third connection and there you go, just remember to switch on upper tank before you run out, may not fill chainsaw tank but will allow to have dual fuel tanks.

here is link to part I mentioned would be in or around where wiperblades and similar parts are in any car shop:
http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/s..._productId_176999_langId_-1_categoryId_212401
==========================================

I looked at the link but did not find specs on what kind of material that is made of. If metal may be OK for gas, but some plastics will melt or soften.

On an associated, but separate issue I even had some clear fuel tubing from an auto parts store soften and the clamp loosen and leak. I rather the neoprene rubber hose that is marine fuel line and seals with those cable clamps real good.

On a search I found this from an auto parts place so maybe in your town can get local also.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/k-n-fuel-line-t-81-0270/17402745-p

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
==========================================

I looked at the link but did not find specs on what kind of material that is made of. If metal may be OK for gas, but some plastics will melt or soften.

On an associated, but separate issue I even had some clear fuel tubing from an auto parts store soften and the clamp loosen and leak. I rather the neoprene rubber hose that is marine fuel line and seals with those cable clamps real good.

On a search I found this from an auto parts place so maybe in your town can get local also.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/k-n-fuel-line-t-81-0270/17402745-p
measure twice I know from personal experience these are fuel proof and also the one you linked looks like same material , but maybe possible to get better one from motorbike shop if you want to worry about that as certain motorbikes run a dual petcock tank or twin carburetors from one petcock using this, for example a Yamaha virago has a 2 feed petrol pipe from one petcock, i know this from my fathers one out the back.