what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I took my Broken Panama Jack to a friends to have it welded. He was having trouble with aluminum, but he is not the type to quite when things get rough.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I took my Broken Panama Jack to a friends to have it welded. He was having trouble with aluminum, but he is not the type to quite when things get rough.
Sorry to hear about your bike. I know what it's like to find your bike all busted up. I still miss my big black Huntington sometimes...okay - rather often. I'm kind of glad I found the Higgins to dive into. I think having something to work on and look forward to helped me recover from the accident faster also. Hope things go well for you on that.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Still working, in piecemeal fashion, on the Higgins. Trued the new rear wheel with what will likely be called a very unorthodox method: 1) Got an old fork that had a hole drilled for a fender mount. 2) drilled similar hole in two stiff scrap plastic rods. 3) Took tire & tube off rim, bolted naked wheel into fork, clamped fork in bench vise. 4) Bolted ends of plastic rods into fender mount hole such that they lie to left and right of rim. 5) As I turn the rim in the fork, any deviation from true concentricity moves one of the plastic rods over a bit.

It helps me if I can see how much I need to correct the rim. I went at it with the spoke wrench and, when using rubber-lined channel-locks, I put a hand-made wood form inside the rim to prevent folding or warping. That last method takes extra care and goes slow. Luckily, this rim didn't need anything so extreme. It was true enough when I got done that I can't tell if it's moving the plastic rods at all.

Did more work on the headlight housing too, testing the light I plan to use. I think it'll be way brighter than the earlier one.

Last edited:

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny

thanks dan and that is really awesome that you lived here.. i am going to make wheel fenders out of fiberglass really soon and maybe for production if people like them.. wait till you guys see it .. you will love it i promise. something like this pic if it loaded and put a face with flames around it.

Attachments

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny

and use this face mask if i can load the pic..i will do a photoshopped pic and load that to get reviews or ideas soon.

i did the pic really quickly so i hope you guys like it and will make a bigger one later on.. got more work to do but yeah i did the pic fast.. so i know it is kinda crappy but you get the idea ...laff.shft.

Attachments

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

cant wait to see those fenders i think there gonna look great especially for a cruiser style frame might not go with a mountain bike but for sure the cruiser style frames have good lines for those fancy fenders

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny

thanks and it will be really cool to look at because it will not be just stickers or decals stuck to the fenders. also it will pave the way for how i am going to do a car when i am allowed to drive.. i can only imagine how crazy cool it will look.. so 3d because the stuff will actually be sticking out.. going to buy the fiberglass later so i can start making the molds but having tons of snow here... gotta ride to work in it today.. might take a video if i remember... love my bike

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago

2 blocks from home and my clutch cable snapped. Rode home dropped off the bike and went back to the scene. Looked for about 5 minutes for the stop pin but alas I couldnt find it. Oh well new parts ordered should be here Thursday.:-||

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

gotta say

you know you're a motorbike addict:

when you go to wal-mart, and buy a perfectly good bike, just for spare parts.

:p

i bought a spare bike with a suspension disc fork on it so that i can send my chopper forks to venice so he can fit them for a disc brake.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

gotta say

you know you're a motorbike addict:

when you go to wal-mart, and buy a perfectly good bike, just for spare parts.

:p

i bought a spare bike with a suspension disc fork on it so that i can send my chopper forks to venice so he can fit them for a disc brake.
LOL Skarrd. Always wanted to do a thread on that.

"If you buy a bike just for spare parts, you might be a MBer"

"If you wake up doing gear ratios in your head...."

I got the idea one morning when I woke up and looked at the clock on the night stand and there was a can of starter fluid next to it. My first thought was "...You might be a MBer"

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

I got the idea one morning when I woke up and looked at the clock on the night stand and there was a can of starter fluid next to it. My first thought was "...You might be a MBer"
got another one!

if every time you see someone else's bicycle and think to yourself "how can i get a motor on that?" you might be a MBer

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Har, was gonna say that. Also shopping carts, wheel chairs and Wheelbarrows. LOL

Last edited:

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago

Well this isnt what I did to my motor bike today...but what I will do to it when my new motor arrives. Ah maybe both. I just ordered a Super Titan XC50S from Duane with friction drive. Putting it on my Cannondale H600 Hybrid. Getting tired of the 2 cycle fix it weekly thing. I enjoy the fixing part but when I need it to work and it dosnt it just p!$$es me off. I guess Im in the 4 stroke club now. Well maybe a little of both. cvlt1 drn2

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny

just fiberglassed my gas tank face cover.. does anyone know how many layers it takes to make it kinda thick?
my first time doing it but if it works out well then i will be doing alot more of this and for peoples cars.. will make a new thread and post pics on my profile page soon.. looks cool to me.. how can i cut the hole for the gas cap? not sure yet...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

"If, while at a big-box retail store, you caution a customer away from a "flimsy" cheap, aluminum bike by citing how a 49cc engine would make it beg for mercy..."

"If somebody dressed in tight (often unseemly) spandex and an irridescent helmet looks at YOU and says "Oh my gawd what is that THING"...

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA

took everything apart. im rebuilding my bike from top to bottom cuz its snowy out. just got a shift kit and new skyhawk for my se stout 29er today. and sent out for a surmey archer 8 speed shiffter hub. it was a good day for my bike.:)

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS

I put on the clamp from the exhaust to my bike to keep it more stable; should have done it earlier, maybe the tip may not have fallen off so easily...

Well, hopefully this will make things run smoother needless to say.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

broke the little plastic pin on the throttle that holds it in place.

drilled a hole straight through and bolted it in place.

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago

Got my parts today. Went out and fixed my MB. I just needed the cable stops so I installed a HD cable. Wow what a diff. Sooooo much smother. The factory clutch cable is a joke. Please replace yours with a HD brake cable. Now a happy MB'r again....yay. dance1