Reverend "Iggy" A Felt Taxi Mid drive lunatic

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Got er done. BIG Eastwing and a length of steel pipe. :) 6 or 7 determined wacks and they pop right out. They also fly quite some distance once free! New 4 bolt BB went right in after VERY careful alignment of the bolts. No chance of realignment once the "cups" are hammered in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
:eek: HOUSTON: WE HAVE A PROBLEM! :eek: But I "THINK" an angle grinder may solve it. Interference between the top of part of the motor assembly and the rear bottom bracket / lower frame interface don't wanna play. I'll mark the areas and sent pics to Luna. I have no idea whats behind the metal on that part of the motor; or how thick it is, and I don't want to remove too much from the frame in that place. !! EDIT !! Hey SilentRider! I think I finally figured out your question about clearence in post 17 FINALLY I get it. I can be a bit slow at times...

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OK Luna Cycles got back and sent me a pic of the case disasembled and it looked like if I took a bit out of the case with a carbide burr and then grind smooth it would fit. So I did. Thought I would have to take metal off the bike as well but turns out I didn't !! Got a black paint stick and touched it up. Im back in business!

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
The grinder to a $700.00 mid-drive...bold move on your part...all I can say is wow...I guess you had to make it fit. I wish it would of fit on the top of the bottom bracket for a cleaner look but sometimes things dont work out.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
GRIND IT TILL IT FITS! All ahead full! Aint a scared... Ya. Bit nerve wracking. But it worked and I'm not above putting things at risk for a result. Many times to my cost. Unfortunatly I work the next 3 nights so, don't expect more till the weekend. I'm excited though and thankfull Luna didnt take a week to get back to me on the case thickness. Literally bout 2 hours to get the pic from them. Excelent support; even if their shipping is poo. And yes. I tried and NO WAY was it going to fit inside this particular frame AND keep the chain guard tab. Ummm. Now I think on it maybe there is a way... thinking. thinking. scheming. maybe. Watch this space.

Last edited:

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
That's great that you were able to make it fit! This is the first Felt cruiser I've seen using the Bafang mid drive. In fact I haven't seen anyone use the motor with a American BB frame. You should post this on ES too so more people get the word.
For informational purposes, do you think the motor would fit inside the frame if you removed the chain guard tab? If so, would grinding still be required?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Yes; I believe it would fit WITH some grinding. The distance, center of crank to outside motor case is just about 1.5mm too close. I'm sure this would be true for any Ashtabula conversion. Careful and slow removal of little bits of metal at a time make for a nice snug wiggle free fit. I've decided to live with it for now underslung. I wanna ride not fiddle for now. As it is, I'll still have to modify the chain guard front attachment point because of clearance issues. Pic's eventualy.

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey Silent. Check out Phantom Bikes e bike line. They use there own frames with the same geometry as Felt aluminum's. Theres is also an "American" BB. Not sure exactly which motor they are using but I'm sure its not the BBSHD. They are claiming 500W its def a Bafang something or other.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
It's the Bafang on the Phantom bike, was told no more gas powered from them after his stock is sold. Out of all the bikes out I really like his R model and the price is fair compaired to the others. I was able to get a gas powered Phantom at a steal and must say its one of the most solid bikes around. Your choice of bike and parts will make yours top notch too.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
Interesting, I didn't know Phantom made ebikes. The lower motor position looks okay and clearance isn't too bad. Keeping the chainguard looks good on a cruiser like these. I'm a bit skeptical of their claim of 40-50 mile using pedal assist with their 11.6ah battery, but maybe if you go slow. I have a 15ah battery and can't get that range using PA and multiple gears.
I'm anxious to see your top speed and range. Did you opt for Luna's DCP-14 display? I like that it includes a watt reading.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Sorry for the delay. Not sleeping... Hip is killin me. Have made some parts by hand required by the choicesis I've made. Pic's to follow. Its coming along. Any other build would have been done on the third day hip or no. This is a bit trickier and I want to do the thing properly.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
Yeah, take your time and do it right. You already got past the tricky part. This is your first electric build correct? Wait until you ride it, it's going to feel like magic zipping along with no noise or vibration. And you'll be able to take it places where a gas bike isn't as welcome.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
YUP! Thats the whole idea. Fast, silent and able to sneak around under the radar. Missed a few days work and now working extra to catch up. Next week I'll be able to play with it. Did manage to make Some custom axle adjusters that should work with the S/A 3 speed.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Alright. Im back but not with much news. Turns out my throttle is missing from the pile O stuff. Have one on the way now. The extra Bafang 42T sprocket is NO WAY NO HOW gonna work on this build. Luna has a new video up on the different chainrings. I thought it was just tooth count and style that was the difference; not the case. Its all about the offset https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOO2lWuVKo SO I bit the bullet and ordered the $105 Eclipse https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-parts/bbshd-parts/luna-eclipse-chain-ring-for-the-bbshd/ its 4 teeth smaller than the big stocker; that and the offset will be much better for keeping my chainguard.

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Chain tensioners are a bit problamatic with the S/A 3 speed. The axle keepers / rotation preventers, and the gear shift mech on the r side interferes; so I had to go my own way. OFF!! TO ACE HARDWARE!! First I bought some stuff. Steel pins Dremel'd in half, some allen screws and big oll heavy washers with an ID same as the anti rotation bits. Used a flappy disc to grind off the excess. Then off to Bob for some welding :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
! RIGHT ! I'm back. Managed to get stuff done done today. Finally got my MIA throttle and Eclipse ring last week but couldn't work on it. Today got the motor and battery mounted and the axle adjusters on. Also fabed a piece of aluminum to relocate the chain guard ! dance1