H Whizzer on Schwinn-Older Restoration

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I made a new friend at Donut Derelicts Saturday and he asked if I could get his Whizzer running. In his rafters since 2005 it had a ton of dust on it. He took it for a debt owed. I don't know the amount but the owner told him it was worth $6000 and ran. After telling him you can find good running Whizzers for around $2500 these days, he was a little disappointed. Then I pointed out all the upgrades on his and the value made him feel better I'm sure. It has an H engine with a tall breather, high fin head, echo pipe with finned aluminum elbow, automatic clutch, Whizzer twist grip throttle and matching grip with compression release lever, Schwinn front drum brake, rear wheel stand, large rear fender reflector, brake arm extension, locking springer, Torrington pedals, front fender light, nice 4 hole rear rack with tail light, cross bar handlebars, nice paint and pinstriping, beautiful tank with original type decals, very nice winged chain guard, and Schwinn embossed seat. Now the bad news. It had a plastic dipstick, broken magneto cover, cracked belt guard, 1 missing engaging dog on the clutch, and when I put it on the stand and turned the pedals I noticed excessive end play on the crank and it sounded like the piston was hitting the head. So next I'll pull the crank and see which end of the rod is toast. Looks like the bike will clean up real nice. Most of the chrome is still pretty good.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
He was very lucky to get anything on the bad debt and even luckier to have run into you. Sounds like you will get the bike sorted out. Keep us posted.
Zip

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Zip. The first thing I noticed after removing the side cover is the crank end play shim has spun a few degrees. Not totally uncommon and probably due to improper fit or lack of lubrication. Then I saw the dipper missing from the rod cap and the big end has a lot of play. After fishing the broken piece from the bottom of the crankcase and removing the cap, I see the crank is marked .040 and the bearing inserts are wiped out. Also the crank pin is .004 or .005 out of round. The piston is .030 over and has some chafing. It may polish out and the cylinder may just take a light honing. I got the go ahead to purchase the needed parts, so I'll contact mason man for some advice and encouragement.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
You seem to know your stuff and are making fast progress to get the ole girl in tip top shape.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Ran into John Koehnke at the next Donut Derelicts and he said he could take care of the crank and rod fairly reasonably. He carries rod bearings down to .050 under and can tig the dipper back onto the rod after resizing it. I need to get over to his place next week.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Its good to hear from Dale, sorry for the delay. Sure miss you guys down at your place. See you soon.
Let me know what I can do if I can be of anything help.

Ray

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
That's a nice bike. This is interesting reading. I put 4 new vintage clutch dogs From Ron on my bike a while back. They work better than some aftermarket ones I've had. I found a little piece of metal on the floor under the bike I put them on a few months ago. I realized it was one of the dogs. 3 are working fine for me since then.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I'm curious how you were able to assemble it and have one of those fall out on the floor. Was it ever in there? Or did you park your bike over your mistake?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks jb, yes it was a nice restoration with quality parts and paint. I know what you mean about those little clutch dogs. The pin is not easy to deal with. Did you use the spacing washer to make them line up with the inside slots on the plate?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I took the crank and rod to my Whizzer parts supplier to get them welded up and machined. While I'm waiting I decided to check out his automatic clutch. Overall it's in good shape. Needs cleaning, new bearings and an engaging dog with pin.

The arm has a chunk out of it. Maybe it was ground out for clearance. I'll find out after cleaning it up a bit.

The magneto coil will be getting a new spark plug wire. Get rid of the condenser in favor of a point eliminator. Then replace the plug cap with one that's more Whizzer.

The carb is pretty nasty inside. It should clean up nicely. The spring and ball that holds tension on the choke shaft is missing. I think I have those.

The belt guard had a couple of cracks and bends, but is still presentable.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I was able to purchase a correct dipstick. And the chunk out of the clutch arm was ground out. Ray says he sees that a lot on clamp in motors to clear the top mount. So I'll smooth it out and make it looks like it belongs.

I got all the clutch pieces cleaned up and ready to reassemble with new bearings and replacement engaging dogs. May need a new felt washer. Still need to rivet the linings back on. They are good and thick.

John Koehnke brought my rebuilt crank and rod to Donut Derelicts, and I didn't need to drive to Orange and pick them up. Came out real nice at .030. The original crank wouldn't clean up even at .050 so I used one of my other used ones. Have to figure out what to charge for an outright crank (no core trade in). The rod got it's dipper repaired and Fred Koehnke said it was bent also, so he straightened it and made sure the small end bushing was the right size.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Today I finished cleaning all the carb pieces. I will assemble after I get a new cover gasket.

I also repaired the plug wire and soldered a silicone cover wire that goes to the points/eliminator. The owner is a hot rodder from way back and I know he'll appreciate the Rajah plug clip.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Thanks Dale.
Carburetor looks brand new! Auto clutch does too,as does the mag.
Looking forward to seeing the motor running. I luv the sound of them.

Ray

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Couldn't find a gasket soon enough, so I made one.

The carb went together smoothly. The only issue is the fuel mixture valve has an o ring, but my buddy Dan made a punch for his Tillotson to make a leather packing. That should finish it.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I cleaned up a bunch more parts. Next I'll paint the cylinder, lap and install the valves and chase all the threads to make sure it goes together with the correct torque specs. Maybe file all the extra flashing off between the fins to give it a nicer look. The head has a few broken fins, so I'll Dremel the rough edges and shine it up just a bit while trying to keep the original look.

Last edited: