air leak/carb problem?

GoldenMotor.com

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
Hi everyone. Having a good day? Awesome. So off to the question..dance1 Ok It looked like i was having a leak around bottom of base gasket and a corner of my head gasket. I still think part of it still is but just would like to bat around a few ideas. First i thought it was my carb not being set right, so i set the float to recommended height. I noticed it was running nicer and just a little blubbery at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Looked at plug-choc brown. Next day, back to blubbery and running a little rough so i check head torque. 120 inch lbs and hasnt budged. I took off cylinder body and lapped those surfaces and even the head again just to make sure. Runs ok the next day but on the return trip it goes back to leaking. I can see a little gas mix coming out the tip of the weld when you look down and out a couple sides of the bottom gasket. I just replaced them with the copper ones from juice moto but they haven't seemed to seat from the get-go. Should i be looking at crankcase gasket or is it just mix from the leakspots? Its running and the plug still looks choc-brown(a little crap around it), but i have a slightly higher than norm idle that takes a few secs to come back. I could put on another base gasket but not sure what raising or lowering would do to it. ANY help would be appreciated and maybe one day i can solve one of your issues by pure luck haha thanks 70 cc flying horse/32:1 mix/replaced crank seals/ngk b6hs

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
check that all case bolts are tight & you could try some copper paint on those gaskets

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
thanks crassius... Sorry, been a little busy lately but i always appreciate your response. I haven't messed with my bike as she is running and functional. It doesn't seem to get hot to where it wont idle and zooms along fine. I still see the gas mix comin out of my exhaust which seems like one day it leaks n one day it doesn't. The OTHER thought I had was maybe my throttle cable/slide ratio? I have my throttle adjustment all the way to the beginning(towards handle) and my carb barrel adjustment is all the way down and when i rotate the grip i have no play before the slide moves. It goes all the way up and down it seems(slide). Maybe feeding it too much gas/oil=just flooding it up? STill CRUIsin drn2

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I like a little slack in the throttle cable & like to hear it click when it hits bottom - the occasional drip from the muffler could just be condensation from when the engine was started cold. Constant dripping usually means to much oil in the mix, or too rich in the fuel settings.

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
I haven't changed my throttle cable but it seems as if i barely play with the handle and slowly rotate it back n forth a little bit i can get it to run just perfect( not blubbering). Like rotating it just barely. My t cable is getting a little bit more slack now. On my first build i had a lil' adjustment and could mess with it. I have new cables but didnt want to mess with what is still running hehe I cut my oil down about 3.5oz to a gal jug. And i am almost positive that i got the carb set per MB standards. I was curious though bout the cylinder walls. before i found the seal leak problem i had switched my cylinder with my 1st builds and then back again after i realized it was the seals. I did notice a couple of little gouges in a few spots..deepish but small. I wonder if that attributes to part of the reason? thanks again crassius .bf.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
minor scoring won't usually cause a major problem right away, but can often cause little peculiarities in how it runs at diff rpms