Bogging on up hill suddenly

GoldenMotor.com

hoffmeister

Jul 29, 2014
Saint Louis
Hey everyone, so built my first bike, 49cc 2 stroke I got from ebay one of those cheap Chinese ones. I had a really difficult time getting it started at first and posted in here to discover it was an air compression problem so I made a gasket, put some sealant on and it worked perfectly! Took it around up and down hills road it for a while( too hard) for the first time, stopped to talk to a neighbor for a while and when I started again the engine had problems and the gasket I made blew shortly after during the ride. (maybe it overheated while I was stationary?). I made a new one but now the engine gets bogged when I try to go up most hills unless I have very fast rpms to start. Ive read a bunch of threads saying that its normal and you need fast rpms to get up hills since these bikes are low power but Im not sure since for the first ride the bike was capable of doing hills that I now cannot do without peddling. So Im wondering is this normal and maybe the first ride was a fluke or am I having more compression issues or is there another possible problem? Thanks for reading all of this any help is appreciated!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'd try a standard gasket with NO sealant. I'd also try some diff settings on the needle to see if it were needing more or less fuel.

Also, you might want to look in the cylinder to see if sealant ran down inside.

hoffmeister , I know what your saying, I did almost the same thing as you did and now my Power band to climb that hill isn't there anymore. Was thinking maybe I scorched the piston and rings. But I have others on here saying it's normal. What type of oil premix are you using? I heard everyone talking about opti-2 and tryed it, Can say that my engine runs smoother idles a lot better. And did notice a slight power increase. My power band is starting to come back. And I'm on my last 24:1 tank. I bought a 36 oz bottle and the instructions on the bottle recommends 100:1 ration or 1.3 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gas.. Meaning that bottle will last a few tanks lol.
I've got to get a torque wrench so when I pull the head off I will be able to re-tighten the head bolts properly. Will update later on.