How do you adjust the throttle cable on CNS carbs?

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Ive been building a few bikes for customers this summer,and a few of them have been bringing me 2010/2011 grubee GT-5 kits with the dreaded CNS carb. I know the history on these P.O.S carbs, but years ago i built one with no issues, i just cant remember how to set the damn thing to idle, its like everyone one of these kits have way to much slack in the throttle cable and the only adjustments are off of the hand grip assembly, if i back out the the 2 adjusters to the point that they are almost falling out of the hand grip there is still like a 1/16th to 1/8 turn of slop in the throttle grip before it will actually pull on the carb slide,and the cable still has too much play in it. i cant keep the bike running with this happening and im loosing money as these projects sit on the bench. maybe im over looking something or the heat in my non-ventilated garage is getting to my brain, anyone got any ideas?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If your CNS has two adjustment screws they are for idle, the one on the side is idle speed the one near the air filter is the idle air mixture screw. What I do is turn the screw on the side till the bike will stay running then turn the air screw in or out till the idle raises then starts to drop. If after adjusting the air screw it idles too fast then lower the screw at the barrel to lower the idle. I made a spacer from a universal cable kit, the kit had a adapter in it with the groove down the side and the cup on the end for the cable housings. I ground down the other end till it fit in the original housing adapter at the grip.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Hmmm.....mine came with the throttle cable and twist grip ready to go. Haven't had a need to mess with it. Greg is correct on the adjustment screws ---- the newer carbs have one of the screws hidden behind a brass plug. I also had to put a quite a bit smaller jet in the carb to eliminate most of the 4 stroking at the upper rpm range.

Good luck!

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
fortunately i haven't had to mess with any of the mixture screws, seems to run fine, really got some got bottom end pull out of this motor and carb on one of them, but i still cant figgure out how to get the slack out of the line.

ive got to look thru my spare parts box for a fix,but i thought there was a way im missing to get the slop and slack out of the throttle without making it look DYI for the buyer.