20 inch bmx

GoldenMotor.com

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
yes im famialiar with linux programming from scratch c, c+ and c++ programming ive been more into electronics than gas engines but they where easy enough to study up on they aren't expensive to make the prototype cost me about 100
( resizing the pictures now )

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
and the other two (fuzz is my nickname its on my guitars and computer lol ) yah about the mount lol its just till i can get the angled stock and tubes , im 30$ short of getting what i need minus the metal for the new mount and the fuel valve but it will work till i can pretty up the mount and i will work on its prettiness lol i may do a 3D rendering just for fun

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
cool, I like it! The green, black, and silver theme is cool. You should do a green silencer on the end of the exhaust and neon green grips :)

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
i have good news :) ok I started this bike for a way to get to my robotics class at UC Davis (college) this summer and i have 3 months left before it absolutely has to be done. next week i will be getting the chain and sprockets and i will still need some copper tubing for the exhaust and make a small adapter to level the carb. and move it out of the way of the current mount , still working on the new design. today i will be adding the linear pull brakes to my new front forks i was trying to devise a way to put at least disc brakes on the rear but its not possible until this summer where i get paid for my robotics class , lol the few of us that go get paid to go to school and teach college classes :) fun fun but later i will be making a bike from scratch from steel and lacing up disc brakes on the front and rear and the mount welded to the frame , then painted black and red with black widow hour glasses on it lol its gotta have a sick paint job for a beast like that but for now there wont be many updates and pics, but for everything i do like the forks and the jackshaft set up ill take pictures for you guys who love picture books lol :p

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
well im going to be using 3 phase motors, brushless since they are more efficient for their size and over all more efficient and a lithium set up with monitors on each cell , the pack will be built by hand and a small linux based computer im working on will control everything
OpenPandora

mite want too check this out. doesn't get much smaller then that. :)

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
yes but i dont want to spend 500$ on a mini computer that would be on a bike , the brain of the system im making is from scratch and any configuring is done via usb to a computer or bluetooth to an android phone since android is linux based and the brain im working on is actually smaller , the transmitter for the security system im making is the size of a postage stamp and the battery is the size of a small pea pod

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
wow those shot up in price since i looked a few months ago. at launch they wanted less then $300. didn't bother looking at the price when i posted the link since i had gotten all the info before when i was considering picking one up.

well good luck with your home built set up, should be interesting.

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
ok update guys, i clear coated the tank ,....but the @%^#% clear coat ate my pain, though im to blame i grabbed the wrong can , re painted the whole thing from bare metal and now the clear coat is drying. I found an issue with my carb , the cast metal was so weak that it broke off when i tugged on it only just , so i cut a thick washer from stock and made a plug for the carb where the fuel was supposed to enter through. I took my micrometer and measured some parts off of my scrap engines from over the years and found a small spigot and drilled a hole for it to go into , the problem is im using car fuel line, so i had to make an adapter , and i used what i had, rc car parts ,my diabetes test strip vials (type1) solder and anything else i could find , the end result looks like an external fuel pump to make it go ZOOM ZOOM lol but in reality its just a barb with a hole trilled into it with solder plugging it up the black vial was meant to be a second filter but one is good enough, so its now a mini holding canister for whatever. but it looks mean now. and i now have 157 $ to finish my project :) i made a new much more pretty mount . but i had my angles off and i don't wanna cut it up again and redo it so imma' start from scratch again using l stock and whatever metals i have ( i attached a pic of my two guitars with my FUZZ nickname in the special lettering i came up with done with a sharpie)

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Sweet man, don't worry, i've done that too :D I've always wanted to motorize a bmx. They're so compact that it seems like they would be a great getaway vehicle, buzz around, throw it in the trunk of a car when done :D

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
that was the point of using a bmx frame , so if anything happened i could throw it in the back of the mini van , cause my dads truck will fit it , but the minivan cant fit my beach cruiser without taking out a seat, i can fit two or 3 of these babies in the minivan no problem. somewhere in the line air keeps getting in so i may use that small tubing through up to the fuel filter and scrap the fat car line gunna go to ace and home deopt for fuel line and metal and go online to order my chain sprockets and brakes.

quick question, what would be better , the float style carb or a walbro style carb ? cause i might end up replacing mine and the two carb kits are the same price just different types. I know how they both work and i was leaning towards a walbro style because there are lots of bumps dips and undulations all over the roads here and wouldnt that mess with a float carb ? i have never used a float carb before either , ive used walbro style carbs simply because they can be mounted virtually any angle and still work. but they are a pain to tune sometimes

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well, all of the china engines use float carbs with no problems, but I would say for that engine if it wee me, I would choose walbro type. I can't really explain why I would choose it, it just makes sense for your application. I can help you tune it too. Can you give links to both carbs you are thinking of? I really like how your build is coming out and I think I may do something like it at some point. Just something to think about, I don't know the rules of CA but I know in CT you need a seat height of 26" so if I ever wanted to do a bmx, I would need a longer seat post.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
I have stock float bowl carb and if I am idling it will die if I hit to big a bump, but if it is in gear it just slightly hesitates kinda sucks but whatever. It just makes me want to switch to the other style of carb.

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
well here it is a "scooter" but anything over 250 watts needs a class c license , but the cops around here already know me cause of my experimental builds and my work at the school lol , no trouble maker here. they wont stop you unless you are doing something stupid . the walbro carb Mini Pocket Bike 33 43 49cc HP Walbro Carburetor Kit - Big Motor Sport
and the float one( already on my bike ) Performance Carburetor Kit - Big Motor Sport
when i was idling the engine it would die on its own , which was bugging me , i think after a little while i will replace it with a walbro style simply because no float for one , two i can use any bike brake cable and not have to make a specifiv length one for the dellorto knock off

and on most of the pocketbikes i see racing , use a walbro style carb

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I would advise the walbro type, but the only problem I see with that is your engine is a reeded engine with a clamp type tube so you would need to fab the right kind of mount to get that walbro style carb to stay, it won't just clamp on. It is doable, just more work.

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
it comes with the adapter for the carb so its just a bolt on affair that's what the plate is for that comes with it, well im off to work on the carb some

Last edited: