5 Speed Peerless 700 External Trasmission!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Davi

Aug 1, 2013
Colombia & US
Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
That peerless isn't going to work with a MT. For one, these transmissions weren't made to shift on the fly at all. the reason is that the shift selector is a tiny little sliding piece inside the shaft that one side of the gears ride on, and the gears engage that, so there is not much strength to it unless it is fully engaged from a stopped position.

Now if you do decide you want to shift on the fly, you'll have to do it very carefully with a manual clutch. The lawnmowers these things were designed for had a belt clutch setup with the clutch pedal releasing tension on the belt, allowing it to slip on the pulleys. On the fly shifting was fine at lower rpm's but I doubt it will be ok for higher input speeds.

If you want to shift gears I think your best bet would be to find a seized 2-stroke engine from a motorcycle and drive the crankshaft via belt or cut off the crankshaft, flip your motor around and turn the input gear shaft. At least this kind of transmission will let you shift without the clutch if you go easy on it.. I'm not sure about using the mt with it though.

Last edited:

Davi

Aug 1, 2013
Colombia & US
That peerless isn't going to work with a MT. For one, these transmissions weren't made to shift on the fly at all. the reason is that the shift selector is a tiny little sliding piece inside the shaft that one side of the gears ride on, and the gears engage that, so there is not much strength to it unless it is fully engaged from a stopped position.

Now if you do decide you want to shift on the fly, you'll have to do it very carefully with a manual clutch. The lawnmowers these things were designed for had a belt clutch setup with the clutch pedal releasing tension on the belt, allowing it to slip on the pulleys. On the fly shifting was fine at lower rpm's but I doubt it will be ok for higher input speeds.

Trust me. I started with a briggs 3.5hp 148cc and I researched ALL the possible transmissions and tried several myself, before settling on a 2-speed automatic design such as the rupp 2-speed. I went from a jackshaft/derailleur, to a CVT, to a single speed, to a 2-speed.

If you want to shift gears I think your best bet would be to find a seized 2-stroke engine from a motorcycle and drive the crankshaft via belt or cut off the crankshaft, flip your motor around and turn the input gear shaft. At least this kind of transmission will let you shift without the clutch if you go easy on it.. I'm not sure about using the mt with it though.

sure it will. yea i know the slider gets worn it can be replaced. this trans are used on V twin racing lawn tractor at high rpms!!!. im going to use a similar belt driven pully with spring and cable to hand lever.

cant trust anyone this days. sure you can stay with the auto 2 speed.
na to much machining

Davi

Aug 1, 2013
Colombia & US
what about a sturey archer transmittions?
yea, similar to the Shimano nexus or alphin
the internal hub probable would get destroyed with that much torque
mabe good for a small 50-80cc and small carb

i need to go up mountains here

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
So how much horsepower are you putting in front of that transmission?

Between the trans & the right angle gearbox you will be hauling an additional 25 pounds of weight. You also lose about 10% of the input power through all of that gearing.

Remember the input of that trans goes to a 3:1 bevel gear reduction. With the 7:1 first gear you get 21:1 in first gear. Really about 3 gears in that trans you could use.

If you just want hill climbing ability a CVT might be a better fit.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
sure it will. yea i know the slider gets worn it can be replaced. this trans are used on V twin racing lawn tractor at high rpms!!!. im going to use a similar belt driven pully with spring and cable to hand lever.

cant trust anyone this days. sure you can stay with the auto 2 speed.
na to much machining
Sure. Those transmissions get rebuilt after every race. Those engines get modded to well over 40hp and have no problem overcoming inefficiency. You're running a 3.5hp flathead which is too weak even for a Comet 30 series CVT.. let alone a peerless.

Based on the gear ratios here
http://www.peerlessgear.com/node5380.aspx?pid=300905

The 3.5hp will have a lot of trouble pulling you in top gear if you want any sort of speed with the proposed setup and its already-obvious RAGB losses (over 8% each.. and you will have two). Also the 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 jumps are basically useless from 10% to 17% each. 5-6 jump at 50% a little tall, and 1-2 jump is the only normal one at 30%.

however if you're set on using the peerless, I recommend starting with a more powerful engine such as a 200cc flathead or OHV. Yeah that attitude "can't trust anyone" might cost you some good money... laff

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Why not run the engine longitudinally like the green bike? You coulda avoid one RAGB running a chain to the back. Plus the cooling fins would be inline with the airflow and you could ditch the shroud.

And maybe switch the motor to a flat twin.. Bmw style

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
what kind of machining would you need for a 2 speed rupp? I assume your talking about a jakeshaft. which jakeshaft are you using?

what is RAGB? Sorry I am a newbe at this

Last edited: