Engine starts and kills battery operated light / computer

GoldenMotor.com

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
My friend bought a speedometer / bike computer for his MB, but found it works only until the engine starts. He has a cheap AAA battery operated headlight that does the same thing. The light works fine until the engine starts, then it goes out. What is going on?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
My friend bought a speedometer / bike computer for his MB, but found it works only until the engine starts. He has a cheap AAA battery operated headlight that does the same thing. The light works fine until the engine starts, then it goes out. What is going on?
Had that problem engine off device works, engine on, devise dead.

Electrical interference.

Never had that problem with a battery operated light. My son had both front and rear battery operated lights on his bike as he got off of work at times at 3AM

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Vibration could be messing around with the batteries in the headlight. Knocking them out of place.
I concur. I don't believe that the RF from the ignition can interfer with a lighting circuit.

I just recently purchased a Schwinn 12 function speedo from Wally World. I've used them on other bikes and had only occasional problems with resets that I could eliminate by keeping the wire from the speedometer away from the clutch and throttle cables and kill switch wires. But, this new speedo is/looks different from the ones I've used before.
And, it will not work with the engine running. They've changed something in the circuitry and the new version of the Schwinn speedo apparently isn't compatible with our bikes.
Just my experience, so far.
Tom

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
2 door...as far as the interference with RF on a battery operated light, I agree. Long before we has ANY type of resistors (ignition) installed in cars, the lights worked fine. Like mentioned...I feel that vibration is the likely cause. Remove (from solid mount) the light, hold in hand while the engine is running to test.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
I just recently purchased a Schwinn 12 function speedo from Wally World. I've used them on other bikes and had only occasional problems with resets that I could eliminate by keeping the wire from the speedometer away from the clutch and throttle cables and kill switch wires. But, this new speedo is/looks different from the ones I've used before.
And, it will not work with the engine running. They've changed something in the circuitry and the new version of the Schwinn speedo apparently isn't compatible with our bikes.
Just my experience, so far.
Tom
Had a similar problem with the Schwinn wireless speedo. Only it went hyperactive and showed 99mph and the odometer started gaining mileage really quickly. I wasn't going anywhere just sitting at idle. I tossed it and bought a wired speedo. Solved the problem for good.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Had a similar problem with the Schwinn wireless speedo. Only it went hyperactive and showed 99mph and the odometer started gaining mileage really quickly. I wasn't going anywhere just sitting at idle. I tossed it and bought a wired speedo. Solved the problem for good.
Which one are you using...I had one of those wireless ones and had the same problem.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
It's a Supercycle speedo. Canadian Tire special, but looks exactly like the Schwinn speedos. The model # says KY13-P3-FR. Price is $19.99

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
It's a Supercycle speedo. Canadian Tire special, but looks exactly like the Schwinn speedos. The model # says KY13-P3-FR. Price is $19.99
Checked Canadian Tire's web page, for both (spedo and KY13-P3-FR) and the only thing that came up was a wireless and a cable. Maybe they don't sell them any more??

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
That wouldn't surprise me if they don't sell them anymore. The one i have was made in May 2009. Very old stock. I will check my local store this Saturday and see if they still have any left. If they do i'll pick one up and put your name on it. and go from there.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
That wouldn't surprise me if they don't sell them anymore. The one i have was made in May 2009. Very old stock. I will check my local store this Saturday and see if they still have any left. If they do i'll pick one up and put your name on it. and go from there.
Thank you, sounds like a winner.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You should've taken a picture of that 99mph and posted it the next time someone starts a "Speed" thread. :)

Hey, I was mistaken. This new speedo, the one that I can't keep from reseting isn't a Schwinn; it's a Bell. The Wally World near me apparently doesn't carry the Schwinn anymore, only Bell which I've heard is a Wally World controlled company. I'll probably end up putting it on my wife's pedal bike and swapping out a Schwinn from another bike to the chopper.
Tom

Last edited:

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
You should've taken a picture of that 99mph and posted it the next time someone starts a "Speed" thread. :)
laff I never thought of that. Would have been a new benchmark for people to shoot for. Probably would have started arguments, name calling, accusations of photo tampering etc.