Pirate cycle hub adapter slipage

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Does anyone have a good idea how to better lock a pirate cycle hub adapter onto the hub? All of mine tend to slip on the hub, and end up against the spokes no matter how tight I tighten it.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
sand paper would be temporary it will disintegrate after a while from the adapter grinding on it then you may end up with a worse fit from it grinding sand in it

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bolt it to a rag joint? :)

Seriously, was it sized correctly for your hub? Is your hub a consistant diameter across the full width or does it taper or have a step in it? And lastly, have you tried to contact the vendor and ask for their opinion? That would be my first step.

I doubt that a bandaid like rubber or sandpaper will work. I have seen where others have wrapped their hub with an aluminum strip made from a beer or soda can but that still shouldn't be necessary if the adapter was machined to the proper dimensions.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Bolt it to a rag joint? :)

Seriously, was it sized correctly for your hub? Is your hub a consistant diameter across the full width or does it taper or have a step in it? And lastly, have you tried to contact the vendor and ask for their opinion? That would be my first step.

I doubt that a bandaid like rubber or sandpaper will work. I have seen where others have wrapped their hub with an aluminum strip made from a beer or soda can but that still shouldn't be necessary if the adapter was machined to the proper dimensions.

Tom
Tom , I've noticed the same problem with every one of them. It's like there's not enough grip to stop the adapter from slipping no matter how tight I make it. I'm afraid it will break if I tighten it any more.

I don't think it's from a bad fit, because the fit seems perfect.

Guessing, I think there's not enough surface area for the adapter to get a strong enough grip. I was thinking maybe if I could find something to improve the friction between the hub, and the adapter.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The Manic Mechanic hub adapters fit properly and don't slip.
Surface area can be a lot less and still grip.
MM made a few adapters for 3/4" diameter hubs and they didn't slip.
Maybe I'm not torquing them tight enough. Do you have any idea what tight enough might be?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
it will make the build up the diameter of the hub slightly and hopfully if you tighten it to the same amount it will clamp better
Well think about it. It's hard to believe that it slips now, but if the diameter had been increased just that much, everything would have been alright lol.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have a digital caliper, or access to one, accurately measure the outside diameter of your hub and the inside diameter of your adapter when tightened together. The I.D of the adapter should be at least a few thousands smaller than the O.D of your hub. If not there is a problem with the machining of the hub. Again, I'll suggest you contact Pirate and tell them what you're experiencing. They'll probably have some input for you. They are a respected sponsor here and stand behind their products. If your adapter was one of their earlier MM items, your situation doesn't surprise me. The original MM parts were known for poor quality. And still are. That's why Pirate stopped selling them.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you have a digital caliper, or access to one, accurately measure the outside diameter of your hub and the inside diameter of your adapter when tightened together. The I.D of the adapter should be at least a few thousands smaller than the O.D of your hub. If not there is a problem with the machining of the hub. Again, I'll suggest you contact Pirate and tell them what you're experiencing. They'll probably have some input for you. They are a respected sponsor here and stand behind their products. If your adapter was one of their earlier MM items, your situation doesn't surprise me. The original MM parts were known for poor quality. And still are. That's why Pirate stopped selling them.

Tom
Well I'll try to contact them Tom, but you know how hard it is to talk to someone these days.

I have one of both adapters. An early MM one and a recent Pirate clone. Both are the same. I've measured both adapters, and both hubs they fit, and everything is in spec.

This isn't like a real loose fit or anything, it takes a few days to jack a couple mm. One hub a painted black, and one is chrome. Seems like the chorme one is worse.

After I adjusted the black one a few times the paint rubbed off.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm thinking maybe I need to tighten it more maybe. If it break it breaks. This time I'll use a torque wrench.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Question:
When the adapter is installed and tightened, as tight as you normally tighten it, is there a gap between the parts of the adapter or do they touch? If they touch then the center bore is too large and you'll need to shim it. If they don't touch then try torquing them a little tighter. I'm assuming the fasteners are probably about 6mm. If so, torque them to 60 to 80 inch pounds and give it a try.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Question:
When the adapter is installed and tightened, as tight as you normally tighten it, is there a gap between the parts of the adapter or do they touch? If they touch then the center bore is too large and you'll need to shim it. If they don't touch then try torquing them a little tighter. I'm assuming the fasteners are probably about 6mm. If so, torque them to 60 to 80 inch pounds and give it a try.

Tom
There's a small gap. A 1/4" allen wrench fits the SAE bolts. I'm thinking something like 30 to 50 ft lb?