Bogging Engine

GoldenMotor.com

Codiferous

Aug 31, 2012
Miami, FL
Hey guys,

Lately, my engine has been bogging down. It takes a while to get going, it doesn't go as fast as it used to unless I keep peddling with the throttle open and it sounds like it wants to go faster (and I know it can/should), but cant. I've replaced the spark plug (as the bike has not been used in a little while), used Sea Foam in the gas tank, I'm not sure about the fuel mixture, but I am using one of those pre-measured oil containers from Home Depot that you add to one gallon of gas, and I have a new carb running one notch below. I think a good greasing could be in order but I'm not sure how effective that could be. I should add it's about 3 years old, and up until a few months ago was used lightly to moderately, but I'm not confident that it should play that huge of a role. The top speed, I estimate, is about ≥17

Any help is greatly appreciated from the great gurus of this forum!

Thanks!

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Did you clean the air filter? Maybe a clogged fuel filter? Maybe clean the carb? Or did you change the carb (you said "I have a new carb")? If so, a new carb will run different, might need some tuning.

Codiferous

Aug 31, 2012
Miami, FL
I'll check the air filter. I replaced the fuel filter and am getting a pretty decent fuel flow and I placed the needle in the same position that I had it in before. Is there any further tuning I could perform on the carb?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I'll check the air filter. I replaced the fuel filter and am getting a pretty decent fuel flow and I placed the needle in the same position that I had it in before. Is there any further tuning I could perform on the carb?
First, just want to be clear.... Have you had THIS CARB running better in the past? If so, you shouldn't need to tune the carb to get it running like it used to, unless you have changed your air filter or exhaust, remounted at a different angle etc... If all that stuff remains unchanged then you shouldn't need to tune the carb, you got something else going on that you need to clear up.... (If you changed the carb, even with the same type of carb, you might need to do some tuning on it)
The air filter can have a lot of effect on how she runs, start there, maybe that's all it is.... Otherwise you might check for air leaks in the intake/exhaust, clogged/dirty jets or needle valve in the carb... Might want to check the torque on your head bolts, if they come loose you can get leaks.....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're using a pre-mix container why can't you check to see how much oil you're adding to the fuel? Just fill the reservoir as if you were going to mix it to your gas then pour it into something with a measuring scale. As it is you have no idea what ratio of oil to gas you're using. You'll want to be at about 32:1 because your engine is probably well broken in by now.
Running a high oil ratio, like 16 or 20:1 will slow you down.

My other question is why you replaced the carburetor to begin with. What was wrong with the original?

Tom

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Also, check the choke. A lot of the chokes get loose, and start choking for no reason. That is a free check you can do on your bike, won't cost you nothing, and may be the problem. Also, look at your spark plug. How is it? Need to be changed or looks good?

MeniacleMechanic

Sep 4, 2012
Virginia Beach Virginia
Also, check the choke. A lot of the chokes get loose, and start choking for no reason. That is a free check you can do on your bike, won't cost you nothing, and may be the problem. Also, look at your spark plug. How is it? Need to be changed or looks good?

I had this same problem, couldnt figure out how it was faster on startup than running, i looked down and watched the choke move with vibration to half choke. Messed me up for awhile.

I had to seriously tune my carb, soldered my jet shut and redrilled it to a smaller size to run leaner. These bikes are normally tuned towards the richer side to ensure longevity of the engine. The basic way to tune the carb is with the needle. The C-clip in the top notch is leanest and the bottom is richest. Your spark plug will generally tell you how rich or lean the engine is running.

Spray some starting fluid around the intake and see if you have air leaks where they shouldnt be. If your running too lean becomes a loss of power and usually the engine runs really hot

Last edited:

Codiferous

Aug 31, 2012
Miami, FL
Hey guys,

My HUGE apologies for not getting back sooner. I will respond to the posts in chronological order:

-I did check the air filter, its clean. and the fuel filter is clean.

-This carb is brand new, but I restored the pin on the carb to the position that I had on the previous carb. I think it may have a good amount of build up, but the gaskets and everything seem to be pretty tight. However I do seem to be running a 50:1 ratio, which could explain a lot. Haven't tried a lower ratio. The float on the other carb was busted and was dumping fuel.

-The choke is good, its pretty solid in movement. Have checked it during rides and it stays in its position.

However, my roommate decided to order a new motor for himself and also ordered one for me as we got a discount. Its a cheap way out but I figure the nature and age of the motor, it would just save me some trouble and time that I don't really have. Sorry if that disappoints some of you, but I GREATLY appreciate each and everyone of you for your help.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Move the jet from the old carb to the new carb and it will probably run the same as it used to. The jet size on the new carb may be different...