crankcase seal

GoldenMotor.com

grizadams

Jul 23, 2012
minnesota
Could oil leaking out of a bad crankcase seal kill my magneto? I just installed a new magneto onto my bike and I've lost my spark again.

I haven't check for an oil leak yet but I am have trouble getting my engine to Idle.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you replaced the magneto you would know if the seal is leaking. There would have been oil inside the magneto cover. Also the engine would not run well due to the air (vacuum) leak around the seal. Fast or runaway idle, loss of power, all the symptoms of air getting in somewhere.

Have you taken ohm readings on the mag to determine if it is actually bad?

I'd start there then check your wiring connections carefully. If you're using the kit supplied plug-in connectors, cut them off and solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing on the soldered connections. Make sure the white and the blue wires cannot come in contact with any metal part of the bike frame or engine.

Let us know what you find.

Tom

grizadams

Jul 23, 2012
minnesota
I looked this morning I don't have a leak. I checked the magneto and it seems fine, but I think my cdi is bad and I'm wonder if the wrong spark plug could fry it, because I'm on my second cdi. One of the first things I did is get rid of those little connectors and solder them and then shrink wrap them. I also sanded the varnish off of the magneto.

grizadams

Jul 23, 2012
minnesota
I just did it. I haven't had the bike running since I did this. I was hoping this would cure my no spark problem. Thought maybe I wasn't getting good contact.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What spark plug are you using? Really doesn't make a difference because the plug won't hurt the other components.

Maybe post a photo that shows your wiring and the location of the soldered connections and the high voltage lead. (sparkplug wire).
Are you using the kit supplied plug boot? Those can cause you headaches for sure. It should go in the trash and be replaced with a good automotive quality boot that allows use of the top cap on the plug instead of the threads.

Do you own or have access to an ohm meter?

Tom

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I don't think you have done nothing wrong yet too not cause spark just check all your wiring that there's no cracks or wired up right.blue to blue and black to black...kill switch one to blue and one to black...using the white wire is a big no no.All this you probably know.Just trying to help..

grizadams

Jul 23, 2012
minnesota
I've had it running. When it died I was thinking that it was running the best it has ever ran and it was screaming and then it died