Engine stalling

GoldenMotor.com

engywook

Jun 19, 2011
Martin,Michigan
If I ride my bike for awhile time enough for it to get good and warmed up probably 15-20 minutes I'll be cruising along at pretty much top speed then it will stall,I was almost all the way home (at least 10 minutes of pedaling:-||) trying to start it back up at random points and nothing until I was pretty much home then it fired back up it did chug a little at first but then cleared up and was fine any Ideas this has happened a few times.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
check your gas cap, some members have had caps that do not vent properly. Is the engine getting hot? What does your spark plug look like? If your carb e-clip setting is too lean heat may be whats wrong, Just a thought.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
As long as you have fuel flow, its impossible to drain the carb without more gas getting into it. The only things that would stop the carb from filling up are vapor lock or gum in the fuel system. Since the engine starts and runs, you don't have either one. Since you stall at full throttle, its most likely flooding. I had a problem last year because my choke lever was loose and kept sliding up, turning the choke on. Check into that. Also check your idle screw to make sure it is properly adjusted.

engywook

Jun 19, 2011
Martin,Michigan
Hmm I'll have to see if there is a way to tighten up my choke it does move real easily.As far as the idle screw goes how should i go about setting that just set it so that it barely stays running at a idle without stalling?(this is my first motorized bicycle lol)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
To tighten the choke, remove the air filter. Using a socket wrench is easiest, but an adjustable wrench will do the trick if you don't have a socket wrench. To adjust the idle screw, use a flathead screwdriver. Turn the idle screw in until it stops. Do not force it, only tighten it as far as it will go on its own. Then, begin turning it out a quarter turn at a time, until it is out 4 and a half turns. If it doesn't idle quite properly, you can adjust it with your fingers. Turning it in will increase the idle and turning it out will lower it. Adjust it to 4 1/2 turns and test ride it before adjusting it by hand.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ya'all beat me to it. When I had problems just like this, that's what it was - the choke. The handle had gotten loose and it would begin to shut on its own as I rode. I was getting furious. I was almost ready to run without one. A very tiny dab of LockTite on the threads of the bolt which holds it in place did the trick, after I tightened it down, of course.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
One thing you can check too is that little strainer on the petcock if it has one. Sometimes those can get some garbage in them to restrict fuel flow. That happened to me once which caused a similar issue.