The Real Deal

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Interesting weekend. I have been going to the Monterey California Historic Races every year since high school. There are ALWAYS cool things to see and I feel fortunate to live close to this very special event. I made the run down to Pebble Beach on Saturday with a buddy of mine who used to work at the modern Indian factory. My goal was to get a picture of me sitting on a real board track racer. Not just any boardie, but an Indian. I had two choices once I got there. An original 1915 8-valve racer, the only one left in the world with original paint and tires, or a 1911 model 8-valve that was a recreation built around an original engine. I figured if I got busted sitting on the $70,000 replica I would get thrown out of Pebble Beach. If I got busted sitting on the $140,000 original I would probably get thrown in jail! I chose the replica mostly because the leather seat on the original was looking pretty dried out and I didn't want to damage it. You only live once! Just for the record I got clean away with it because I did one very important thing before I sat on it. I asked permission and the guy running the event was totally cool and reluctantly said o.k.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is the one I really wanted to sit on, the 1915 8-valve original. Just look at this thing! Check out the dent in the tank, original tires, and that crusty old seat. Amazing. Oh, a couple thoughts on these old machines. I had always thought these bikes were fragile looking and dangerous. Well, I still believe the dangerous part, but as for fragile I don't agree. My impression was they were very strong looking. The rear triangle of the frame is pretty stout. All the spokes are safety wired and soldered where they cross. Overall it may look like a bicycle frame, but the reality is they are much more solidly built. They are also very tall. When I sat on it my first impression was that it was a big machine. I thought to myself that it's a good thing I am tall or my feet wouldn't have reached the ground. They may look like bicycles but these machines are truly motorcycles.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I prefer the Indians but the Harleys are equally as cool. This is a restored original 1923 twin cam board track racer and is one of three known to exist. It was perfect.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
There was also some real cool art work. This looked to be a bronze sculpture. I didn't ask how much it cost.

mudbugone

Aug 12, 2010
Louisiana
Thanks for the photos and the perspective. You seldom see a photo with someone actually on the bike.... It's good to see the scale in relation to a person.

The Harley doesn't appear to be as robust as the Indian bike.